High School--Rev to Rev or Geography guide?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mamochka5

Re: High School--Rev to Rev or Geography guide?

Post by Mamochka5 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:52 am

Hi Tiffani,

I appreciate you jumping in and giving a glowing review of WG because right after I ordered, I started freaking out, thinking I should cancel it and just go back and do either Rev to Rev or MTMM for American history instead. So, even after I've made a decision....I haven't! :roll: I guess I just needed a little encouragement that it was the right way to go and that it will be a spiritually strong year, as well. I want my ds to be challenged and grow, but not be overwhelmed or feel burned out so that he doesn't like it. Your post was nice to find this morning. :)

Are you enjoying the English with DVDs? Are they helpful?

Thank you!!! :D
Liz

Mom to 6:
H: 10th (15) World History
S: 7th (13) RtR
I: 5th (11) Preparing
E: 4th (9) Beyond
K: 2nd (8) Beyond
B: (5 y.o.) LHTH

Tiffini

Post by Tiffini » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:17 pm

Hi, Liz,

Actually, I have only watched the first portion of the English DVDs, but my daughter is using them successfully. It is quite easy for her right now as it is focusing on sentence structure and she has that down pretty well already, but I know it will increase in difficulty. And for now, I'm thankful it is an easy part of the curriculum that doesn't take much of her time as she adjusts to the heavier workload in general. I think you will like it. And I know you'll love the content of the whole program!

Momof2n2,

I am so with you on being mainly concerned with what is required for God's calling on my kids' lives. Since I don't know what that is at this point, I just continually keep praying that He will equip them. I know He will!

I understand what you mean about it being hard to decide which year to pass over. I will be in that boat with my littles coming up as they will not be on target to complete them all by graduation. Last year, I agonized over my oldest dd's curriculum. I had always kept her combined with her younger siblings and it was time to change that and let her move ahead. I ended up skipping MtMM with her and moving her straight in the WG guide. She will still miss the last Guide that Carrie writes as well since she is in 10th this year. I hate to miss any of it. Since your son will be a 9th grader next year, you could consider skipping MtMM and going straight to WG as well since he will get the second half of American History at the high school level with the last guide that Carrie puts out. I could hardly bear to have my dd miss MtMM (so I had her read all the History books from it over the summer - and so did I!) It is really tough to make decisions about these things, I know!
Tiffini
DD (21 ) Graduated! Used HOD from 5th Grade through 12th Grade!
B/G Twins (18) Graduated! Used HOD from 3rd through 12th Grade!
DS (12) and DS (10)- Preparing Hearts
HOD Users since 2008

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:11 pm

Thanks so much, Tiffini, for your words of wisdom here! :D I have not been myself lately, and my post is a little jumbled. Thanks for adding needed clarity and excellent advice to this thread - I greatly appreciate it!!! :D Thank you also for your prayers for our Dad. With us now being further into the WG, I would say our days (on the longer science lab days especially) are probably around the 7 hour mark too. I'm glad though - I want to be sure we are doing 'enough' for high school, and I know 100% we are. :D We are really enjoying the WG here too. We just had a pretty amazing discussion with the "Rooted and Grounded" Bible study today. It has been so neat to read about missionaries' work different places all around the world. Their challenges are many, yet their faith is so strong. Wyatt is really enjoying this study, and he prays diligently for each group of people he's learned about it. I feel this is the right time to do this kind of study. Wyatt's faith is grounded. I can see how God has worked through all of the years in HOD that we have spent time laying the foundation for faith to grow upon. The many years spent in heartfelt discussions, in studying/memorizing the Word, in honing Godly character traits, in enjoying devotions together geared toward his becoming a Godly young man specifically - so many things we have done together from LHTH to MTMM - and all having prepared him for this Rooted and Grounded study in WG. He desperately wants everyone to have the opportunity to know the Lord... to hear the Good News about what He has done! :D :D :D

Each year in HOD's previous guides, there has always been a sharing the Good News type project. They've all been different through the years, but all are the same in the fact that they have given ample practice in sharing the Gospel through different avenues. It feels like "Rooted and Grounded" is kind of a culmination for that - like seeing how God gives opportunities for the Gospel to be shared in all different ways with all different people, and He finds a way to use imperfect people like us to do it! Humbling. Wyatt is making those connections and really looks forward to his Bible Quiet Time each day. We also are really liking "Practical Happiness" for our devotional study. I love that author - we enjoyed doing "Boyhood and Beyond" years back within HOD too. "Practical Happiness" is written in the same down-to-earth, yet deeply wise, style - only more grown up for high school aged dc. We have already had some great discussions from it. :D Anyway - I got off here now! :oops: I guess I just wanted to say when I thought of a World Geography year, I was excited about a lot of things from the 'geography' angle, but I didn't think of it being full of teachable moments that were pretty deep and definitely heartfelt in the Biblical sense. What a delightful surprise! :D Thank you, Carrie, for always keeping the Lord part of all we do. It is moulding our dc's hearts, as well as their minds. Hug that sweet daughter of yours, Tiffini! :D Oh and here's a laugh - I first read that she was going to a 'barn DANCE' each week! :lol: (which actually sounds fun too, but not what she's actually doing, which I realized upon my doing more careful reading). :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie