First day of school traditions....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Kteni

First day of school traditions....

Post by Kteni » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:51 pm

We are due to start school in the next few weeks (HOD should be here soon :D ). I generally have a special treat for my children (recover composition books with fun patterned paper to personalize them, new supplies we needed or the like) and make them a card to welcome them to their new grade. I was wondering what your back to school traditions are...? I may need to borrow them :D
in {heart} 17 years
yarngirl 14- CTC w/extensions, MUS, DITHOR
legoboy 11 - Bigger w/extensions, MUS, DITHOR
tractorboy 5 - LHTH 1/2 speed
camobaby 3 - tractorboy's shadow

TrueGRIT

Re: First day of school traditions....

Post by TrueGRIT » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:38 am

We don't have one that we do year after year other than taking a picture of them with their books.
Instead every year I find something different to do and surprise them.

This year I took them to Orange Leaf (frozen yogurt). They really really enjoyed that!
I was glad since this year it needed to be low key.
Last year I planned a picnic in our city park and allowed them to play in our Splash Park.

Another thing I do is try to plan a day off 3-4 weeks into school to celebrate. They have been working hard to get into the flow of regular school, and need a nice break. Even with difficulties getting started it is usually due to coming off our Summer schedule and going back to a regular workload. So I always find this a needed day, and we work better when we get back.

Have fun! Let us know what you decide on, it will give me an idea for next year. :) Thanks.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:05 pm

We've always gone out to breakfast, and then we come home and take pictures with all the year's curriculum around her! :)
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

mom23

Post by mom23 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:57 pm

I love these ideas! Keep 'em coming! :D
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

school4princesses

Post by school4princesses » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:11 pm

We started a new tradition that I "borrowed" from a good friend. We went out for breakfast. We had to leave at 6am, however, because DH had to be to work by 8:30 and has a long drive. My eldest two DD's weren't real thrilled with that, as they wanted to sleep until ten minutes before our normal start time. But it was a lot of fun! After ten years of homeschooling, breaking out something new and fun was a must.

Blessings.
Jennifer
DD 16 (in a performing arts charter school)
DD 14 (WH)
DD 10 (CTC)
DD 7 (BHFHG)

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:06 pm

The last two years I made Schultuete(school cones) for the first day of school. I stuff them with little treats, little toys, a new shirt, and a new cup. I also like to take back to school pictures the first day or a few days before. This year I found an About Me paper on Pinterest and had the kids fill it out and share it with the family. One other thing we do is go over the school rules, expectations, and daddy shares a Bible verse. We did this stuff on the day before we started actual school so my husband could be there and then on the first day we just got straight to work. If you want to see pictures of our first week I posted about it at my blog. :)
http://bobandabbies.blogspot.com/2013/0 ... chool.html
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

jer2911mom

Post by jer2911mom » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:19 pm

I make signs for the new grades and let the girls decorate them, and then we take pictures of the girls holding them. My husband helped me make a treasure hunt for new school supplies this year, and the girls absolutely loved that. The older one had clues to follow and the younger one had a map. We also had a special snack treat and chocolate milk at lunch.

HTH,
Kathy

Kteni

Post by Kteni » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:17 am

Out for breaky sounds good!
A treasure hunt is brilliant!
Those school comes were amazing!
Photo is a great idea!

Lovin this list!
in {heart} 17 years
yarngirl 14- CTC w/extensions, MUS, DITHOR