Punctuation in High School Written Narration

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mamas4bugs

Punctuation in High School Written Narration

Post by mamas4bugs » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:18 pm

My oldest son started MTMM this week, and since he is in high school, I have started grading his notebook pages so that I have a history grade to put on his transcript. My question is this: how much should punctuation/grammar/capitalization count in the written narrations? His facts are great, the length good, and he's got wonderful flow. He mostly just misses a few commas here and there. I hate to take off an entire point for each grammar mistake, as I feel like the point isn't so much the grammar as it is the retelling of the history, but I feel almost like we're cheating if we ignore grammar mistakes.

Anyone have thoughts on this?
Living the adventure, blessed to be schooling 3:
Cub 15 MTMM with extentions
Crawdad 11 Preparing
Taz 6 her own interesting mix

Have used and loved: LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
http://ourhomeschooltravelingzoo.blogspot.com/

arstephia

Re: Punctuation in High School Written Narration

Post by arstephia » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:40 pm

I had my son format a word document for width to fit into the narration box and type his written narrations for MTMM (9th grade) so he could edit for spelling, punctuation, etc. That way he could get his thoughts down first and then could go back and edit for mechanics. That box was worth 10 pts. 5 for content and 5 for mechanics. By the 4th week, he rarely got any scores under 9 because he was careful to proofread his work before he printed and glued his narration into his notebooking page. It worked really well for us that way, and we are continuing that this year.
I've done all the guides now with at least one child and still feeling the HOD LOVE. LOL!
DD 9- Preparing
DD 13- Rev 2 Rev
DS 15- Geography

mamas4bugs

Post by mamas4bugs » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:53 pm

That's what we did this week, too! He typed it up, made it smaller, and glued it into the appropriate box. :)

Thanks for your input. I guess I'm just trying to decide what percentage I want mechanics to count in the narration.
Crawdad 11 Preparing

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:01 pm

If it helps at all, I am currently taking college classes myself, and I think our Anatomy and Physiology teacher would take off 1 point for every 4 misspellings. (I don't have too many troubles with spelling, so I'm not 100% sure, but it was something similar to this.) Our Microbiology instructor did similarly (taking off 1/2 points) in our lab reports for technical/spelling/grammar errors, but she was more picky--wanting everything exactly perfect. So, I don't think there is one hard-and-fast rule, but you could try something in between these ideas if it helps! :)
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

mamas4bugs

Post by mamas4bugs » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:12 pm

Thanks, Heather! That's exactly what I was looking for. :) It's nice to hear what college professors are doing.
Crawdad 11 Preparing