Drawn into the Heart of Reading--Am I missing something?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MelInKansas

Re: Drawn into the Heart of Reading--Am I missing something?

Post by MelInKansas » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:50 pm

It's just as bethelmommy said and as others have pointed out. In Preparing - MTMM DITHR is scheduled for 3 days a week (out of 4). This is to balance your/your students' workload. You don't cover all 9 genres in a year's time, it is closer to 2 years. Thus they move up in the levels every 2 years, from about 3rd grade until 8th grade. My DD started DITHR 2/3 in 2nd grade but she didn't do it fully and I think we will repeat the 2/3 level again so she can do all of the assignments herself. When we started I did a lot of the writing and helped her with sentence composition because she wasn't very far along in that yet.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

WellsSchool

Post by WellsSchool » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:42 pm

Thank you for confirming everything!

chillin'inandover

Post by chillin'inandover » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:46 am

Welcome to DITHOR! I have done this program for about 10 years and it has been a delight. This is just a suggestion, you might want to just use the 4/5 workbook rather than both 4/5 and 6/7/8. This would allow you to get comfortable with the directions and would allow your children to complete the same assignment. This would allow each child to still read on their level as you can have 7/8 books and 4/5 guide. This would also allow group projects that are done at the end of each genre, picked from Book projects take home or the other options listed in the TM manual. Some days the assignment says to read on own, fill out worksheet , and discuss. This could work nice when combined with both kids, allowing younger to have it role modeled by older. If they are doing separate guides they will have different assignments each day. This would also allow you extra time with younger child reading more out loud and going over assignment. The older child would be more independent while still challenged by the assignment. Hope this makes sense. This is only a suggestion.
I do 4-5 genre per year since Preparing was done 3 years ago. The books are so good my son reads the other 4-5 books over the summer so he can do another book pack. He doesn't do the DITHOR work just reads great literature. It has been hard to limit my choices. My son has done 2/3 for 2 years and 4/5 will take 2 years. He is reading literature from CTC boy interest story time, 4/5 and 5/6 book pack. Thankful for all the wonderful options. My son is average reader and not interested in writing unless "he has to"! He loves the book projects from level 4 now. He enjoyed level 2 when he did level 2/3. My children have developed their Godly character as they have modeled and analyzed what is a desired trait through DITHOR.
Tammy
Wife of 32 years
Mom to 4
DD 29 Technical Manager FA, Playwright, Producer, Lighting Designer
DD 28 Master in TESL, Lead ELL teacher 3rd grade
DD 19 AAS welding
DD 16 , WH
Home Educator since 2000 HOD LHTH-US2

WellsSchool

Post by WellsSchool » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:19 am

Thank you for sharing your advice based upon your experience! :D

4arrows

Post by 4arrows » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:12 pm

Thanks for clarifying this! Makes sense now. I am interested to know how others have liked using DITHOR? Do you use it as written, modify it or skip it altogether?
Thanks so much!

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:10 pm

We've love DITHOR and use it as written. This will be our 5th year using it. The only thing we have done differently is actually do it every day even when it is scheduled only 3 days a week because my dc begged me to do it. There have been times that we haven't done the final project for some reason or other, but usually we do everything as scheduled. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1