Need help to prepare to start HOD

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Rice

Need help to prepare to start HOD

Post by Rice » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:17 am

I am looking to start HOD in one year. DS will be 12, entering Grade 7 from another CM curriculum where we have (so far) done basically no formal grammar. I have a course prepared for this year but I need options on whether I should do what I've planned or switch and use English 4 (or 3?) this year to prepare him for entering HOD next year.

I was planning to use GrammarLand with some supplemental pages from Simply Grammar and I know that after that I could put him into CTC and English 4 at that point. However, since he'll be in grade 7, I am wondering if I should:

1) Continue as I planned, do English 4 in one year (Grade 7 with CTC) and move on from there.
2) Continue as I planned and put him in English 5 with CTC.
3) Switch my plans and do English 4 with him this year to prepare for doing English 5 with CTC next year.
4) Considering we've had no formal grammar, do English 3 this year, English 4 next year in CTC and just move on from there.

I'm not sure at what point a CM-taught child can successfully "jump into" the Rod & Staff English program with or without some preparation.

I"ll be grateful for all suggestions, comments, insights!
Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

luv2homeschool

Re: Need help to prepare to start HOD

Post by luv2homeschool » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:18 am

I'm sure he could at least handle English 4. The first chapter is review and would get him right up to speed. It teaches diagramming from the beginning.
Christine
DS 12, Rev to Rev
DD 10, Preparing
Our fifth year using HOD!

Rice

Re: Need help to prepare to start HOD

Post by Rice » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:25 am

luv2homeschool wrote:I'm sure he could at least handle English 4. The first chapter is review and would get him right up to speed. It teaches diagramming from the beginning.
Do you mean he could handle it next year, doing English 4 in Grade 7 or should we tackle it this year, getting him up to speed for doing English 5 in Grade 7 (with CTC & extensions)?

I'm unsure what is planned for Grammar/Writing through the High School years. We'll be missing both American History years (Grades 7-10 will be the Hearts for Him Through Time series and Grades 11-12 will be World Geography and World History - with me adding Canadian History in on top). I'm not sure what point we should try to be at for Grade 7 or 9 or....??? In other words, how much I have to fit in in those last 6 years, so where we should try to be at to start Grade 7...

Thanks!
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics