Intro & first question re: DITHOR

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Rice

Intro & first question re: DITHOR

Post by Rice » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:44 am

Hi everyone,
I'm seriously considering HOD starting 2014-15. We are currently using a CM curriculum (Ambleside Online) which I love but is requiring too much prep time. I like what I see so far in HOD, especially its extensive inclusion of Bible and it's ease of use.

My kids, when we start HOD will be: DS age 12 (advanced reader, not so advanced in writing), DD age 10 (late reader but ahead in math), DS age 9 (reading about 3 yrs ahead of grade level). These are the ones I would start in CTC, either together or the oldest first and the next two the year after. By then we'll also have DS turning 7, DS age 4, DS turning 3 and baby girl turning 1. I'll start them off in AO and switch them to HOD when they reach a similar age (or CTC level).

My question for this post is, as I look at the chart for placement (more questions about that later, lol) how do I know what level of Drawn Into The Heart Of Reading they are at? Are there reading placement tests I can have them take next spring (or even now as a ball park) or do I just have to guess, based on the books in the list? The books we have used are all advanced (Pocahontas from Level 3 my 7yo DS read independently this last year; they will all be done Little Pilgrim's Progress from Level 4 - some reading independently, some listening to me, etc.) so I know their comprehension levels are fine, but I don't know where their individual reading levels fall.

I look forward to asking more questions and getting to know HOD better, but for now I'll leave it with that. :)

TIA for your help!
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics