Using only the history portion & possible science

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
ddbakery

Using only the history portion & possible science

Post by ddbakery » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi,

I have not used Heart of Dakota. But, I love the way it looks; it reminds me of the education I received as a child. We have already decided to use CLE and Rod and Staff for Math and Language Arts for the Fall. I would love to find out how easy it would be to pull the history portion and possibly the Science out of HOD to use. My daughter keeps asking me if she can do History by just reading books from the library. I would love for any advice! :)

lucsch

Re: Using only the history portion & possible science

Post by lucsch » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:58 pm

Well there is much more than just history and science in HOD. I think you will appreciate it. Don't try to do it without the TM, as it ties everything together so well. You can definitely substitute in CLE for math--we do that. You can try using CLE LA. I use something else for spelling and handwriting, but we do use R&S for grammar/writing. What you have to consider is that Carrie has carefully balanced the daily time it takes to get through everything with careful coverage of skills. When you substitute, you can upset that balance and set yourself and your child up for frustration.
Lucinda
Wife to Gary for 31 years
Mom to ds26, ds21, ds19, and dd11
Grandma 4yo, 1yo, newborn
dd11: CTC
Finished BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing & DITHOR 3x

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:07 pm

What age are your kids? I think the manuals are set up so you can do the left side and not the right. The left side is the history, science, and Bible mostly in the younger grades. I am not sure how it is done in some of the older grades. They have the first week posted on each book's page, so you can see how it is formatted. I think it would be easy to just "skip" the boxes for language arts and math, using your other materials instead. I have heard others do this, and it is our plan for LHFHG with my oldest (since we already purchased Horizons math and phonics for this year).
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:10 pm

Yes, you can certainly use the resources that you've named and use HOD for your science and history. I believe in the math and language art boxes it even references that you can use resources of your choice in this area. If you should choose to go that route there are a few things to keep in mind. You would in essence be using the left side of the guide and the science on the right side, with the extensions in the back if your child is in need of that aspect. I think the main thing to be aware of is that your day "may" be longer than other HOD users simply because the guide is created with all the pieces in mind and they fit together time-wise and logistically quite well. In addition the writing development of the student through HOD happens across the curriculum - particularly in science, history and language arts. So,by using another language art and science resource you would also be stepping off the HOD writing scope and sequence.

Regarding your daughter's question of simply using books from the library for history. Yes, that could work. I do think an overall plan of written and oral narrations, mapping and timeline would enhance this experience with attention being given to quality living books. That would certainly make it more CM, if that is a desire. CM also emphasized getting to know a person in a period deeply through biography as you studied an era versus reading widely. It depends on your goals and the amount of effort you and your daughter are willing to invest in using the library. But I do think it would work and would work well once you had a "plan" in place. The beauty of HOD is the plan is in place. I wouldn't suggest using HOD as a booklist, if that was something you were considering. In that case, it wouldn't have any real value. The guide is what makes the resources effective.

Note - HOD does use Rod and Staff for language arts. I'm not clear if that's what you've selected for your LA, but if it is that is in the plan!

Abundant blessings and peace to you as you discern your direction!
Last edited by deltagal on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

psreit

Post by psreit » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:19 pm

If you use library books for history, it would not benefit you to use the HOD guide, as history is the basis for this curriculum. I will say that HOD book choices are excellent. I'm taking a break from HOD right now because my daughter needs some intense work in math and reading. After being away for a few months, I knew my direction would be to come back. HOD has excellent Bible, and I really appreciate having everything written out. All we need to do is get the materials and just follow the guide. :D
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

StillJulie

Post by StillJulie » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:23 pm

I would recommend using the guide as written if at all possible. There's absolutely no problem with using the CLE for math (unless you're in an early level - K, 1st, or 2nd grade - where Carrie's hands on math plans are SO wonderful! I'd hate for a child to miss those). Rod & Staff is already scheduled for the grammar/some writing.

Any time I've deviated from the guide, I've added time and stress to our lives. It isn't worth it to me.
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:43 pm

ddbakery wrote:Hi,

I have not used Heart of Dakota. But, I love the way it looks; it reminds me of the education I received as a child. We have already decided to use CLE and Rod and Staff for Math and Language Arts for the Fall. I would love to find out how easy it would be to pull the history portion and possibly the Science out of HOD to use. My daughter keeps asking me if she can do History by just reading books from the library. I would love for any advice! :)
ddbakery - welcome to the HOD Board! :D The ladies gave some great advice already! You can definitely use HOD's guides for everything except your CLE and math. In fact, you will be getting so much more to enjoy this way than just history and science! :D We have loved HOD and the learning it has provided for our family for the last 10+ years. It is top-notch! How blessed you were to have received a similar education - you lucky, lucky gal! Count yourself among the very few. :wink:

As StillJulie wisely said, using the manual as is gives the most easy, open-and-go, stress-free year possible! As you do your CLE and math subs this year, you can do a little 'spying' on what it would have been like to just use HOD's choices for these areas, and then contemplate what you want to do the next year. :) Who knows? You may decide to try one more thing of HOD's, or maybe you'll still love your current CLE and math and continue on with that. Time will tell, right? :D

One thing I thought I'd mention - I don't think I'd let dd think she is going to be able to dictate what she is learning each year (i.e. How about I just read some books I want to for history?). :wink: It is so hard to pull the reins back in after letting dc run the show and say, "You really do need to do 'x' this year now, though!" Plus, the incremental learning of skills associated with each subject area each year from guide to guide in HOD is just amazing! It really develops confidence, delight, and success in learning for dc - and what's more (something I truly LOVE :D ), it helps dc be super successful with their independent learning! For my teenager especially, this has been awesome! It has helped us retain our close relationship - even though we are homeschooling and together so much. :) HTH,and I'm looking forward to getting to know you here! If you need help with placement for your dc, be sure to ask here! The ladies are so helpful and very encouraging! :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie