? About Beefing Up Science

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
glperky

? About Beefing Up Science

Post by glperky » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:24 pm

My 10th grade son will be doing MtMM this fall and then the Geog. Guide next fall, Lord willing. Have have been reading up how to beef up the science in MtMM for high school credit. But if I understand correctly, that will give him a Chemistry credit this year and then Chemistry is what is offered in the Geog. Guide, correct? So, what do I do about this?
Married to my best friend since Oct. 1989
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10
And one - waiting in Heaven

I am way outnumbered and loving it!

holdinon

Re: ? About Beefing Up Science

Post by holdinon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:37 pm

Actually, the geo guide will have integrated physics and chemistry. This is a separate credit than Chemistry. (The 3rd highschool guide will have Chemistry).

But that's not really going to answer your question as to what you would do with it when you hit the geography guide---I don't know if the IPC course is something you'd take after chemistry or not???

Carrie's science path is this:
Freshman: Integrated Physics and Chemistry
Sophomore: Biology including anatomy in the course (with Health as an additional semester course sophomore year)
Junior: Chemistry
Senior: Physics

Is there any way you could get the Geography guide for science for this year, since you'll be using it the following year anyway? Then do the Biology from the next guide when you do the Geography guide (or did he do Biology for 9th)?
2013-2014 year:
Geography, CtC, Preparing, Bigger, Beyond, and Little Hearts (and surviving!)

(Completed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing, CtC, RtR, and RevtRev)

glperky

Post by glperky » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:46 pm

He did an Anatomy/Health course this year.

That gives him
9th=Anatomy. Didn't use HOD :cry:
10=? Using MtMM
11= Chemistry using the GG
12=? Using the World History Guide (is Biology scheduled in this one?)
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:35 pm

I think that holdinon gave great advice. I would lean toward doing IPC with lab this year (from the World Geography guide). Then, he could do Biology the next year and do a harder Chemistry his senior year than the beefed up version from MTMM. :D

Depending on what his plans are for after high school, the other option to consider would be to beef up the Chemistry in MTMM, then do IPC his junior year, and Biology his senior year. This would be a much lighter science path though and would be out of the more typical order of things, so it could raise some flags when he applies to colleges (if he is bound that route). :D

If you do end up going the IPC route this coming year, then this post may help: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13914

Blessings,
Carrie

glperky

Post by glperky » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:30 am

Carrie and anyone else,

If at all possible, I would like to stick to one of these plans because I all ready have the material. Would either one work? If so, which would be better? (He does plan to go to college but they have no requirements and neither does our state.)

9th- Anatomy (bad move, I know :oops: )
10th- Beef up MtMM Science
11th- IPC with Lab
12th- Biology

Or

9th- Anatomy
10th- Physical with lab
11th- IPC with Lab
12th- Biology
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:35 am

glperky wrote:Carrie and anyone else,

If at all possible, I would like to stick to one of these plans because I all ready have the material. Would either one work? If so, which would be better? (He does plan to go to college but they have no requirements and neither does our state.)

9th- Anatomy (bad move, I know :oops: )
10th- Beef up MtMM Science
11th- IPC with Lab
12th- Biology

Or

9th- Anatomy
10th- Physical with lab
11th- IPC with Lab
12th- Biology
Personally, I wouldn't wait until senior year for Biology. Biology would best be done this year, 10th grade, so he's prepared for PSAT, SAT/ACT.
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

glperky

Post by glperky » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:38 am

raceNzanesmom wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't wait until senior year for Biology. Biology would best be done this year, 10th grade, so he's prepared for PSAT, SAT/ACT.
That's a good thought. I was just doing that to follow the guides. However, he is going to start off at a college that doesn't require PSAT, SAT/ACT.
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10