Independent Reading in Preparing

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
holdinon

Independent Reading in Preparing

Post by holdinon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:08 pm

I have done Preparing twice with multiple kiddos, so you would think I wouldn't have to ask this question :oops: . (And I DO think I know the answer......but.....).

If a child just completed the emerging readers, and is just about to begin Dithor (with level 2 books), will he be okay with the independent reading required in Preparing? I ask because my olders that have done Preparing were reading at least the level 4/5 pack or above when they hit Preparing, but my next one has been a struggling reader and just completed the ERs with Bigger.
2013-2014 year:
Geography, CtC, Preparing, Bigger, Beyond, and Little Hearts (and surviving!)

(Completed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing, CtC, RtR, and RevtRev)

lucsch

Re: Independent Reading in Preparing

Post by lucsch » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:12 am

I'm guessing that would be too much to ask, at first. Maybe you could ease into it?
Lucinda
Wife to Gary for 31 years
Mom to ds26, ds21, ds19, and dd11
Grandma 4yo, 1yo, newborn
dd11: CTC
Finished BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing & DITHOR 3x

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:54 am

Hi!
Julie (my3sons) wrote to me that they should be able to read for themselves before or shortly after starting Preparing. It sounds like your child is farther along than mine. I believe your child will do just fine. :)

I don't know how to go back and post only the one reply you need, but here is a link to the post where Julie gave me 2-3 replies in regards to my Bigger child, and what would be expected of him. She also gave a few great tips for reading help & encouragement.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1346&p=96457#p96457

HTH some!
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:44 am

I think it might be a bit of a stretch, but I'm thinking he will probably do fine. One of the DITHOR books in the level 2 pack is one of the One Small Square books which is what is used in the science first weeks of Preparing. The earlier books in the independent history box are also not at as high of a reading level. I think it will start out slowly enough that he'll be able to ease into it. The readings aren't very long each day either. It might be challenging though so I would work closely with him at first to make sure that he is able to do it without frustration and with good comprehension. If it is a bit too much, perhaps you could work with him having him read a page, you read a page, back and forth just to help him through the first few weeks. I think he'll be able to be independent with it quickly. The emerging readers really prepare dc well having them read books that are up to a level 4 reading level. Most of the independent books in Preparing aren't too much of a higher reading level than that, so I think he'll be able to do it! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1