Dictation worked!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Rachel

Dictation worked!

Post by Rachel » Fri May 17, 2013 9:32 am

:D My ds has always struggled with spelling, and I expect it will never be a strong point for him. However, I followed the HOD guide advice (with the encouragement of some seasoned HOD users who had been in my shoes) and started working through the dictation levels starting at the beginning, 3x/week as scheduled. In earlier years, I have tried several different spelling programs, 5 days/week, and nothing seemed to be sinking in! Well, as my ds matured this year (now 10yrs. almost finished w/ Preparing) and continued to use dictation (only spelling curriculum he doesn't complain about), I started to see improvement in the spelling of his written narrations. This was what other moms had already experienced, but I was so excited to see it happening for myself! :D Then last month I administered the Canadian Achievement Test (standardized), and was thrilled to see the results. Last year he was below average in spelling, but this year he pulled ahead into a rank well above average! In fact, he only got 4 questions wrong on the spelling part. Now, part of that may be due to multiple choice questions this year (whereas for gr.3 he had to pull the spelling out of his head to write down), but even with that boost it goes to show that he has learned to "see" the words in his head and recognize the correct spelling. Which is the pathway to being a good speller! So, as I said, I am thrilled, and I'm excited to start my dd on the first level of dictation next year! :D
married to dh since 1998
ds 12, RTR
dd 9, Preparing

laughablemoments

Re: Dictation worked!

Post by laughablemoments » Fri May 17, 2013 10:37 am

That's Fantastic! : )
DD(13)- Res to Ref w/ ext.
DD(11)- Preparing w/ ext.
DD(9)- Preparing
DS(7.5)- Beyond
DD(6) -LHFHG
DD(3) -LHTH
DD (1.5) having fun with everyone : )

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue May 21, 2013 5:57 pm

Rachel,

Thanks so much for posting this! :D I love to hear updates from families who have tried dictation for awhile. I am always thrilled to see how their kiddos begin to improve. It is a blessing for so many families after years of frustration and little carryover with other spelling programs. :D

I'm celebrating with you! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

luv2homeschool

Post by luv2homeschool » Tue May 21, 2013 8:33 pm

That is great news! I am really hoping it kicks in for us. DS is a horrible speller. We've been doing dictation all this year and, while he gets the passages correct, nothing has clicked beyond that. His written narrations take forever because he is constantly asking me how to spell words or look them up.
Christine
DS 12, Rev to Rev
DD 10, Preparing
Our fifth year using HOD!

Rachel

Post by Rachel » Wed May 22, 2013 9:23 am

Well, my ds is still FAR from being a perfect speller on written narrations, but still I am so pleased at the improvement over time that I would encourage you to keep going...he's still younger than my ds (almost 11) and it will probably "kick in" eventually. I keep trying to encourage my ds to continue writing his narrations as best he can, concentrating on the writing and not the spelling at the time. Then when he is done writing, I have him look up or ask about the words he is not sure about, or I help him with some of the ones I know he should already know, but at the proofreading stage. I don't know if your child would be able to handle that, but it takes some of the pressure off while writing, since at least for my ds, writing narrations is in itself still a bit of a difficult task. I hope it continues to get better and better for you!
married to dh since 1998
ds 12, RTR
dd 9, Preparing

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed May 22, 2013 1:58 pm

Congratulations to you and your ds! Perseverance and consistency are the keys to dictation. It is a slow burn, but gradually, improvement happens. Little by little, better spellers are built via steady progression through dictation levels in HOD. I have had the same experience, exactly, with testing with spelling with my oldest ds. He has gone from testing below average to far above average in spelling, and he is just ready to finish Level 8 of HOD's dictation this year. It is a wonderful place to be! My next ds is a natural speller who is moving through dictation rather quickly, but I know there is coming a level that will challenge him ahead. :wink: My youngest - I don't think is going to be a natural, but we'll see. If he's not, I'm not worried. We'll just move through dictation. He'll be ok. Thanks so much for sharing this important update as it is such inspiration and encouragement to those on the other side of dictation! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie