With embarrassement, i ask for help for placement

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
igeagewalker

With embarrassement, i ask for help for placement

Post by igeagewalker » Fri May 10, 2013 8:58 pm

I will try to keep this short but it is kinda complicated. I started my 13=14 year old in Rev. To Rev. in Jan. and she was doing very well-enjoyed it though didn't always finish a full day due to fatigue.About 6 weeks ago, we stopped HOD, much to my regret. My hubby commented on too much busy work, and I went along with this so we took out a few books for her to finish (George Washington) and planned to use something different for next year. NOW, I totally regret this decision and wish......well,don'tneed to say anymore. My problem is for next year. Technically, she is suppose to be high school in the fall. We have thought about giving her an extra year before high school as she is behind in math and has had some emotional concerns( past depression, OCD) On the other hand, she could handle most of the high school work. I just don't know where to place her next year if we use HOD again. Very high reading, and comprehensive skills, about 12-15 sentence narrations,a good "style" with her writing. She also wants to do an online writing class at some point. I have been considering the high school guide and going slowly, taking longer than 1 year to complete. But I think she could also be o.k. with the guide before the high school guide.
Would love any opinions.
thanks
Pam , Married to my best friend for 17 years
DD 16 homescholing
DD 13 REV. to REV.
DS Twins 11 CTC
2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 ferret, 1 horse

MitchellFamily

Re: With embarrassement, i ask for help for placement

Post by MitchellFamily » Sat May 11, 2013 7:01 am

Boy that is tricky! Could you finish up where you left off and go 5 days a week, using the leftover day for a finish up day? Are her expectations clear what she needs to do and when to stop? (I have OCD in my family and when to stop is a hard thing to learn.) Is she being independent with her studies? I have not done that study guide yet as my oldest is 9, but if she's not quite ready for high school in the homeschool world then maybe spend some time working on her skills that she needs help with. I hope someone else can help you more!
Mom to 5 blessings
DS, 9: CTC, DITHOR
DD, 8: Bigger HFHG, DITHOR
DS, 6: LHFHG, 1/2 speed
DD, 2: joins in on read alouds and rhymes!
DD, new baby - sleeps in if I'm lucky!
Have also enjoyed LHTH and Beyond LHFHG and Preparing :)

igeagewalker

Post by igeagewalker » Sat May 11, 2013 7:15 am

hi,
Thanks for responding, I no longer have the program and have had her read all the history from that guide now. So she needs to do a new guide in the fall.
DD 16 homescholing
DD 13 REV. to REV.
DS Twins 11 CTC

4Hispraise

Post by 4Hispraise » Sat May 11, 2013 8:34 am

Carrie has a post with the Geography guide placement chart descriptions on here somewhere (lacking computer savvy, I am unable to figure out how to link it here :( ). I would recommend studying that, comparing it to the MTMM descriptions and evaluating your daughter's abilities. Then, take in to consideration how much longer the days in the GEO guide will be compared to Rev to Rev guide. Really, from what I see posted, I think there will be a significant jump in expectation for independence, writing, time spent in each subject, analytical skills. I must confess that I am hesitantly contemplating the same jump...so these are things that I have been praying about and taking into careful consideration....as well as seeking the advice of the wise women on this board.

For me, I would hesitate to skip a guide if my child were struggling to complete the current guide as written in a timely fashion each day. I would just keep pressing on and not be overly consumed with how quickly she progresses, but that she is progressing. We, at our home, use the fifth day to make up anything not finished during the week, as well as focusing on math. HTH!!
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Sat May 11, 2013 10:55 am

For me, I would hesitate to skip a guide if my child were struggling to complete the current guide as written in a timely fashion each day.

I agree with the pp. I think I would just progress to MTMM, and I would be very careful what I added for HS. I would look over Carrie's recommendations. Then, the next year, you can just jump into the geography guide. I think skipping a guide may result in frustration, but you will know best.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

igeagewalker

Post by igeagewalker » Sat May 11, 2013 3:15 pm

Thanks for all your comments, kadies. I was afraid that no one would want to answer me! As far as finishing her work, she did finish her work on some dayys-when she really put her mind to it. On those days, she got done quite early and felt good about her work. So I KNOW she can do it --she has struggles with consistency and motivation. And when her OCD athoughts occur, it can take hours to get her back on track. I fear her graduating "late" but also know that I can't push her and that I want to be honest about high school creditsand her work.
So....I will continue to pray about this...and look again at the placement guides for both programs. Does anyone ever include their children in decision making for school?
pam
DD 16 homescholing
DD 13 REV. to REV.
DS Twins 11 CTC

4Hispraise

Post by 4Hispraise » Sun May 12, 2013 6:28 pm

Pam,
My prayers are with you as you try to determine what is best for your dd. And, may the Lord Himself enable your dd to overcome the OCD thoughts - He is able!

My oldest has struggled with severe OCD...so I understand (to the extent that anyone who isn't living your unique situation can) what you are saying about how the thoughts affect the school day. We do include ds in praying and talking over the options with the understanding that in the end the decision rests with me and his father. We do our best to take into consideration how his OCD affects his learning and his daily life, what his long term goals are and how he is progressing. We sit with him and discuss every aspect of what the school day needs to look like, where his strengths and weaknesses are, what the expectation will be in each program...and we are very realistic about how his OCD affects him. And to be honest, the year we came to HOD, we chose a guide lower than he placed because he was struggling so much with OCD. It was exactly where he needed to be - to progress consistently in spite of his struggles.

We are most likely skipping MTMM. I am feeling pretty comfortable with this right now because my ds finished all of Rev to Rev with extensions without his day being interrupted by the OCD. It used to be that once he got sidetracked by the OCD thoughts he couldn't complete school. That is no longer the case. Using a guide that wasn't quite as challenging for him gave us the time and energy to deal with the "stinking thinking" by praying, praying, praying and offering him God's Word to replace the wrong thoughts. We had to prioritize...for us (and I am NOT saying that this would be right for you - it is just what was right for our family), we felt like developing the skills that would enable him to make it in everyday life after high school included giving him the ability to deal with the OCD in a healthy, godly way. In fact, it was our priority...so we chose the guide that enabled us to have the time to pour all that extra effort into dealing with the OCD. That may not make sense to many, but it is what the Lord directed our family to do...and we don't regret it.

Please don't think that I in anyway am saying that our way was the best way or that it would be what is right for your family. I just wanted you to know that I share your struggle! May the Lord grant you wisdom as you seek to do what is best for your daughter.
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu May 16, 2013 10:12 pm

Welcome back, igeagewalker! :D It is sometimes tough to figure out what is best for our dc, and that coupled with trying to come to a consensus with our dear husbands can sure be tricky. I'm so glad you came back here and posted your thoughts now, and I will be glad to try to help you. :) As I read your post, I find myself thinking along the same lines as the wise ladies that have already posted here. You have shared dd was having difficulties completing RevtoRev in a timely fashion - I'm assuming without extensions, and I'm not sure if she was doing DITHOR or not - but either way, repetitive fatigue and lengthy days usually = too much of a challenge or too much stress. Finishing out RevtoRev probably would be the best advice to give, but as dd has read the resources and probably is just in need of a fresh start in general, I can see why you wouldn't want to do that. I really think MTMM is the answer to what would be best to do next. MTMM will be a manageable increase in time, and I think dd will probably do alright with it - though it will be a challenge enough. The World Geography guide is going to be quite a leap from RevtoRev. I'd not advise that (though I can see it makes sense for the pp, considering the completion of RevtoRev with extensions the previous year with success). Carrie posted the placement chart descriptions for the "World Geography" guide here...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13706&p=97817

I think you and your dd would truly enjoy MTMM! This time period appeals to teenagers as it is the time their grandparents/ parents / and they themselves are living in now - so many connections can be made! :D The Biblical Worldview is excellent. The discussions you will get to have with your dd using the Socratic Method via Worthy Words are so interesting and thought-provoking. The living books are chosen so well and are ones your dd is not likely to forget! :D The President Study makes a lasting impression, and the ins and outs of each of these amazing leaders gives such insight. The intro to chem study is so interesting, fun to do, and yet independent. I could go on and on... but just know this... MTMM truly is an excellent guide and way to spend a year of your time. :D :D :D

Here is a post that may be helpful...
Choosing RevtoRev or MTMM for high school or bumping up to World Geography guide for high school:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13690&p=97830#p97830

Here is one more that may be helpful...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13647&p=97453

What are your thoughts now though? We can keep chatting and working on fine tuning placement until you are at peace. I hope something here can help! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie