Teaching Time In Geograhpy Guide??

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
holdinon

Teaching Time In Geograhpy Guide??

Post by holdinon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:47 pm

Assuming a student is appropriately placed in the Geography Guide, has come up through HOD doing all independent boxes well independently, etc (in other words....assuming no modifications or extras or special needs)......How much teaching time is estimated for the Geography guide? I have been having a teaching block of one hour for dd for the past couple of years (with an approximately 10 minute add-on at the end of the day to tie up loose ends and check corrections, etc). This has seemed to be enough in a typical day (of course there are those days :roll: , but generally speaking an hour works well). Does this sound about right for high school/Geog. Guide as well or should I expect more (or less)? (She will be doing the guide as is, with all recommendations for electives)
2013-2014 year:
Geography, CtC, Preparing, Bigger, Beyond, and Little Hearts (and surviving!)

(Completed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing, CtC, RtR, and RevtRev)

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Teaching Time In Geograhpy Guide??

Post by Carrie » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:33 am

That sounds about right, if you include time spent to teach (talk through) the following areas: Rod and Staff twice weekly, discussing two sessions a week of BJU Lit., discussions once weekly going over Logic, discussing the Bible reviews every 5th day, hearing oral narrations in both history and the living library once weekly, hearing narrations from the World Religion & Culture's course off and on, any time needed for math help, doing studied dictation, conversing in Spanish to practice new words, and aiding in science labs as needed. You'll also need time to check the student's work and go over any needed corrections. :D

We've alternated your teaching time to keep it very manageable in the day-to-day. You can see that we've worked to shift your time around so that you have your hand in a variety of subjects, but the student is still able to progress mainly on his/her own. In this way, you get to oversee and interact with the student in a wide variety of ways and have the opportunity to facilitate discussions and seize those teachable moments. :D Yet, the student retains ownership of his/her day and learns important skills needed for being a self-starter and a motivated worker.

Blessings,
Carrie

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:25 am

This information is very helpful. Thank you holdinon and Carrie!

Holdinon a question for you - do you simply have one hour-long meeting session with your dd at one point in the morning or do you work with her off an on all morning?
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

holdinon

Post by holdinon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:55 pm

Thanks Carrie! That is exactly what I was looking for! Sounds awesome! :D (And I should have probably clarified my terminology. I did mean "together" time, as most of our time is spent going over stuff, etc, and not so much teaching anymore :wink:

Deltagal, We have done it different ways in the past. We have had times where our "together" time is broken up, but nowadays we find it better to do it all at one time (with the exception of the tail end of the day). Dd begins her day on her own, following a schedule that has her done with most of it by the time I come in for her just before lunch. When I meet with her, we do dictation, I listen to her recite her Bible verses and whatever oral narrations she needs to give. I ask the followup questions from each box she has completed (which more times than not is all of them), and we go over the language arts box and the math. She reads me her written narrations, and we go over those (at this point, there is very little correcting needed, but if there is any we go ways to correct). Then we eat lunch, everyone breaks from school, then she comes in and finishes anything left from her time before our together time and completes her language arts and math things while I finish working with others. At the end of the day, we meet back again, but this time is usually only about 10 minutes---sometimes even less--it is just a time I check her English, math, any corrections or things she didn't get completed before our first meeting time. (During this second mini-meeting, she does any correcting while I am there, so there is no need for me to come back a third time :wink: .
2013-2014 year:
Geography, CtC, Preparing, Bigger, Beyond, and Little Hearts (and surviving!)

(Completed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing, CtC, RtR, and RevtRev)

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:04 pm

Thank you holdinon. That's what I've found works best for us - just one block of time later in the morning or afternoon to go over the days work, etc. Thank you for taking the time to respond! :D
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM