beyond for 9 yo next fall

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
LivinNandByHim

beyond for 9 yo next fall

Post by LivinNandByHim » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:33 am

Considering return to HS next fall. My now 8 yo will turn 9 in Oct. Her reading level tests in PS at this point still place her in mid first grade level. My thoughts are to do Beyond with R&S 2, cheerful cursive, and probably continue spelling list 2 or dictation. She enjoys math but struggles with reading and spelling. Can print nicely when focused. Loves to color, cut, and do artsy stuff. One concern is in the area of math. This year we ran into problem b/c Singapore is mastery, not spiral (is that correct?) And ps uses spiral approach. I'm thinking I may need to use something more compatible with ps, in case at some point, we have to test, or return to ps. Thoughts, ideas? Thank u.

my3sons

Re: beyond for 9 yo next fall

Post by my3sons » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:33 am

Come back! Come back! :D I think Beyond sounds like a good fit for dd, and it is just a terrific guide to teach. I am excited for you to return to homeschooling, and I think Beyond will really be a nice way to come back. :D I was remembering this thread Carrie shared some ideas in as you shared about your dd, maybe something here would be helpful?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7429&p=54276#p54276

As far as math goes, you can certainly use any math program. I would not choose it based on putting your dd back in school though, but rather on what would fit her best. I was on countless math selection committees back in the day for our ps, and believe me, the math program could completely change anyway by the time you might put her back in. :wink: This gives you the freedom to choose what's best for dd now, which is great! :D I think the hands-on math activities in Beyond are amazing, so if dd does place there, you could count on those to help you out with great teacher instruction. Otherwise, Bigger Hearts has awesome hands-on math activities for 2A/2B, and many moms just get that manual for those. I would print the 1A/1B Singapore Math placement test that is free and start there (remember Singapore is considered a year advanced anyway). I gave steps for doing this on this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13358&p=95835

HTH, and welcome back! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie