Back To The Drawing Board, Please Help

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
glperky

Back To The Drawing Board, Please Help

Post by glperky » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:25 am

I have a 15 yo son in 9th grade that has never used HOD. I was planning on using the new guide for his 10th grade year, but I just don't think it is going to be in the budget. :( So, what could I do instead in order to use HOD? He is doing American History this year. Thank you for your help.
Last edited by glperky on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Married to my best friend since Oct. 1989
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10
And one - waiting in Heaven

I am way outnumbered and loving it!

RestInHim

Re: Back To The Drawing Board, Please Help

Post by RestInHim » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:30 am

Maybe you could use MTMM with extensions...because you could buy that used. I know I'm going to have to buy HOD used if we're going to afford it :shock:
Sara
Married to Jaysen for 8 years
Cassidy: Beyond, Cheerful Cursive, ERS, Math Mammoth
Joel: LHTH, BJU Math K5, A Reason for Handwriting K, The Reading Lesson
Timothy: 17 months

glperky

Post by glperky » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:38 am

RestInHim wrote:Maybe you could use MTMM with extensions...because you could buy that used. I know I'm going to have to buy HOD used if we're going to afford it :shock:
Wouldn't MTMM be an American History credit? He already had that.

Are extensions planned out in the guides or do you have to schedule them yourself?
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10

RestInHim

Post by RestInHim » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:48 am

Of course :oops: Sorry.
Sara
Married to Jaysen for 8 years
Cassidy: Beyond, Cheerful Cursive, ERS, Math Mammoth
Joel: LHTH, BJU Math K5, A Reason for Handwriting K, The Reading Lesson
Timothy: 17 months

glperky

Post by glperky » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:52 am

RestInHim wrote:
Of course :oops: Sorry.

Don't be sorry. You are just trying to help. And I thank you for it!
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10

Molly

Post by Molly » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:50 am

Could you talk to Mike and Carrie and see if you would be able to start a payment plan now or something? I'm not sure if that is an option. Do you have anything you could sell that would help toward the cost? I understand how difficult it can be. Hang in there. God bless.
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH

school4princesses

Post by school4princesses » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:11 pm

What about RTR with extensions? It is a particularly interesting year for boys. You'd have to beef it up a bit, but there is a whole thread where Carrie explains how to do that for high school. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7240

Blessings.
Jennifer
DD 16 (in a performing arts charter school)
DD 14 (WH)
DD 10 (CTC)
DD 7 (BHFHG)

glperky

Post by glperky » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:17 pm

school4princesses wrote:What about RTR with extensions? It is a particularly interesting year for boys. You'd have to beef it up a bit, but there is a whole thread where Carrie explains how to do that for high school. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7240

Blessings.

This is what I am thinking. This would get him his World History credit, right? Then what would he use for his Jr. And Sr. year since he has already had Amercian Hisory?
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10

school4princesses

Post by school4princesses » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:18 pm

By that time the Geography may be available used. Or, if you decide to go with the PAC works science that is written into the Geography guide for this next year, maybe you'd have the guide already and only have to get the other books. If you still need another social studies/history type credit, then you could maybe look at a half credit of government and a half credit of economics, using some of the beef ups recommended for Rev2Rev and MTMM.

Blessings.
Jennifer
DD 16 (in a performing arts charter school)
DD 14 (WH)
DD 10 (CTC)
DD 7 (BHFHG)

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:36 pm

One of my homeschooling friends has a curriculum she really likes to use and she and another homeschooler whose children are one to two years younger buy each year's curriculum together and split the costs. when one is done they pass it on to the next one and they take super good care. They obviously have to pay extra for any consumables. Maybe you could find someone who you could purchase the geography materials with and then you could use it next year and they could use it the following year? Then when you are both done you could sell it and split the proceeds. Make sense?

Another idea is to simply ask Carrie what are the absolutely essential, core, must-do sections of the guide and just be selective about what you can do next year.

If it is important to you I feel confident you can find a way to make it work!
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:07 pm

Were you planning on using the science? There are a couple of options there. You could use the EE advanced science from REV2REV $139 (if you need a lab science) or you could do the PACworks without the extra lab materials if you do not need a lab credit every year. Although the Bible looks great, you could always just read the BIble and journal. There are many ways to reduce cost if that what you need to do.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

glperky

Post by glperky » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:37 pm

I was looking at doing Res. to Ref. because of the time period. But I have looked at the guides most of the day, and I think if I go with the younger guides, I will have to beef them up of course, but I would have to take away too. I don't think my 16 yo will want to make a Indian headband, for example. So, now I am at a complete loss. I guess I will just wait and see what comes with the new guide as far as prices go, and then go from there.

Any input on high schoolers doing the History projects in the younger guides?
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:26 pm

glperky,

I honestly think that the best thing to do right now is to figure out what your son's best placement would be, all thoughts of cost aside for now. Otherwise, you may end up with a guide that doesn't really suit your child and that will make for a negative and costly experience. :D

So, for now, let's go back to the drawing board and just look at the first page only of the placement for your son that you desire to place in HOD. Really ponder what he can do in each of the key areas on the chart. Next, if you can pop back and share about the areas on the first page of the chart that will really help! :D

We also need to know how independently he works, how well he follows lengthy written directions, and how strong of a reader he is. As part of this focus it will help if we know what he has had in the past for formal literature study, writing programs, and grammar. :D

His past math experience will also make a difference as well as what he has had in the past couple of years for science and history (but these are secondary concerns that come after focus on reading/writing/grammar). This is because overall language arts skills will impact every area of the guide. :D

I look forward to hearing back from you as time allows. Once we know where your son places, then we can look at how to cut costs. The ladies have given you some wonderful ideas in this area already. :D We also work with quite a few families on payment plans, so this is something we could certainly do for you as well.

Blessings,
Carrie

glperky

Post by glperky » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:25 am

Carrie,

Thank you for your questions in order to help me out. Sorry, it has taken awhile to get back to you, but with Easter weekend came business, for you too, I am sure. I have done the best I can to answer your questions below in red. Let me first say that we have never been a CM kind of family and this child has been in Public School, the Private School and has had "School at Home" since fourth grade and is now in 9th. Hope all this helps and thank you for your time.
Carrie wrote:glperky,

I honestly think that the best thing to do right now is to figure out what your son's best placement would be, all thoughts of cost aside for now. Otherwise, you may end up with a guide that doesn't really suit your child and that will make for a negative and costly experience. :D

So, for now, let's go back to the drawing board and just look at the first page only of the placement for your son that you desire to place in HOD. Really ponder what he can do in each of the key areas on the chart. Next, if you can pop back and share about the areas on the first page of the chart that will really help! :D For reading J would fall in MtM. Writing is his weekest subject. He can copy passages in cursive but has never done dictation and has a hard time writing even basic paragraghs. He really struggles with compostion. For grammar he would fall in RtR without diagramming. He hasn't had diagramming.

We also need to know how independently he works, how well he follows lengthy written directions, and how strong of a reader he is. As part of this focus it will help if we know what he has had in the past for formal literature study, writing programs, and grammar. :D He works very independenly and has for years. He does have to check in daily in order to stay on task. He follows lengthy written directions well and is a strong reader reading at a High School level. He has been doing Progeny Press Literature Studies, Climbing to Good English, and Winning with Writing Level 5.

His past math experience will also make a difference as well as what he has had in the past couple of years for science and history (but these are secondary concerns that come after focus on reading/writing/grammar). This is because overall language arts skills will impact every area of the guide. :D Math is also a weak subject. He is doing pre-Alg. Teaching Textbooks. For science this year he is taking Anataomy and for History he is taking Notgrass American History.

I look forward to hearing back from you as time allows. Once we know where your son places, then we can look at how to cut costs. The ladies have given you some wonderful ideas in this area already. :D We also work with quite a few families on payment plans, so this is something we could certainly do for you as well. I know that you give discounts to Missionary familes, do you also give discounts to Pastor's families?

Blessings,
Carrie
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:45 pm

glperky,

Thanks so much for taking time to answer my questions! That really helps! :D

In looking through what you've shared so far, I'm also wondering what your son's future plans are and whether college is on the horizon for him? Last, I'm wanting to know what your state requirements are in science, math, history, and literature?

If you get a chance to share those too then I can help you better. I have several options running through my mind for your son right now, but I need to have a bit more clarity on what his future plans are to help refine the ideas. :D

Blessings,
Carrie