Questions about half-Speed for Preparing

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
TrueGRIT

Questions about half-Speed for Preparing

Post by TrueGRIT » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:16 pm

For a little background -
My son is on unit 24 of Bigger Hearts and finally doing full-speed, and doing it quite well. He has mild dyslexia, although it has greatly improved over the past year.
Writing takes a lot out of him, but that has also been a great improvement. ( I have been working with him at home)

Since we do school half time during the summer, I know he will need to start Preparing by Labor Day, if not before. (It's not an option to slow Bigger down at this point. I looked ahead, and he's fully ready for what's ahead)
However, he will not be ready to take on the additional reading/writing requirements of Preparing, at least to begin with. It's not a problem for me to read to him. I rather enjoy it! But how do I arrange everything to spread out over 2 days/years, especially when he doesn't feel he gets enough history & science as it is? Would it be feasible to read some of the extensions to him, to spread it out? He is very mature for his age in those areas.
The other concern is all the cursive. He can not seem to form the letters, and it frustrates him to tears, so I put it aside for now. He can read cursive. In fact I almost think he reads it better than print.

I know we still have 4-5 months before we need to start, but I need to get some ideas in my head. I don't like to leave things for the last minute, but have at least a couple of options in the works.

If it would help to know, he is almost 9, is doing R&S English 2 ( a bit behind), and Singapore math 2. For the most part he does well in those areas, in fact, he didn't hit any snags until recently which got us a little off. We hope to be caught up by August.
Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advanced for any advice.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

my3sons

Re: Questions about half-Speed for Preparing

Post by my3sons » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:14 pm

Congrats on the progress your ds has made - that is exciting! :D Typically, it is important dc can do the reading/writing a guide is asking them to do when they start it, or that they be able to grow into it fairly quickly once they begin it. Certainly PHFHG allows for some easy adjustments for growth - i.e. starting with a few vocabulary cards and working up to more. The plans themselves plan for growth - i.e. starting with 1 sentence written narrations, and working up to 5 sentences (I believe) by the end of the year. As you look at the reading/writing in PHFHG, what looks like too much for ds? Are they areas he is fairly close to being able to do, and that you foresee him being able to grow into? Or, are they just way too much right now? Here is a rundown of the differences between BHFHG and PHFHG, so you can see what is ahead especially in the LA area of writing...
Amount of writing in Bigger vs. PHFHG:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3602

As far as the reading goes, dc should be reading their own Independent History books and their science in PHFHG. It is exciting ds has made great leaps in this area - would you say that being able to read the books he is supposed to in PHFHG is on the horizon? They are the books in the Science package and the Self-Study Deluxe History package, in case this is helpful...
http://www.heartofdakota.com/preparing- ... ckages.php

While you certainly could read aloud things he is to be reading, it is important dc take this over fairly soon in PHFHG, as the reading in CTC on up only gets harder, longer, more mature, too much for a parent to read, and important for the student to read as this increases and improves comprehension, retention, and reading skills themselves. Has ds completed the Emerging Reader's Set, or a level of DITHOR possibly? I guess I am just trying to gauge where he is at in LA. If you are thinking that the LA skills in PHFHG are going to be quite difficult for ds, I am wondering why it is not an option to slow things down now in BHFHG in order for him to be able to grow into the reading and writing requirements of PHFHG by the time he would start it? Also, I am wondering why PHFHG must take 2 years? I am sorry if I am misunderstanding any of this - just trying to make sure I am getting what you are saying here and trying to understand why BHFHG must be finished by Labor Day and PHFHG must take two years - but maybe I am not reading that right! Please correct me if I'm off there. In general, I'd say it's important for dc to be able to have the skills needed to begin a new guide, or to be fairly close to possessing those skills, as it just make for a good placement and a good year. Now, with my ds Riley, he needed time to grow into the writing at both the start of Beyond, and at the start of Bigger Hearts. We went half-speed because of this. Likewise, he has needed time to grow into the work of CTC, which is why we are back to half-speed with that. Best thing we have done for him. He loves school again, and is growing into all of those skills he needs for full-speed steadily! :D

Is ds doing all of the writing in BHFHG, other than cursive being a challenge, and has he completed the Emerging Reader's Set? I'd say those skills are important for beginning PHFHG. If you are thinking no to half-speed Bigger Hearts due to ds wanting more history and science (and who wouldn't want daily history and science in Bigger Hearts, it is awesome! :D ), maybe you could add he rest of the extensions for BHFHG as read-alouds now and go half-speed, working on writing and reading skills to prepare for PHFHG? Or, if he is doing well with all of the reading/writing in BHFHG and full-speed BHFHG, then starting PHFHG half-speed - provided he can grow into the reading/writing fairly soon - would work too.

A word about the cursive - one year of formal cursive is important. However, the over-reaching goal is for students to be able to read cursive, and at the very least be able to sign their name in cursive. Very few adult men write cursive well, or even choose to write in cursive. If this seems the case for your ds, I'd probably make him finish out the 1 year of cursive, and when he gets to PHFHG, try to have him write at least 1 of the things assigned in cursive in cursive - or even just one sentence each time, and write the rest in print. Though there is a daily cursive copywork portion in PHFHG, the rest of the writing may be done in either cursive or print.

HTH - but please share your thoughts about this when you get the chance! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:37 pm

Thanks Julie for taking time out to help.

He has not finished the Emerging Reader's. We are doing it but he tires of reading very quickly, so we have to take it slow, and sometimes take a break in between.
So, I don't feel he would be ready for the reading too soon.

You did understand correctly that I was allowing 2 years for Preparing. In case we have to go half-speed the entire time, although I hope that is not the case.
I am trying to coordinate a time to look over the Preparing guide & all the books with someone in the area who is doing it with their child.
I hope to have a better idea then. Looking at the first week online, I know he could do everything except the reading, and writing in cursive. However, I know things get harder, and I don't know where it would began for us.

He started out Bigger half-speed because of the writing and reading, then we went to "3/4" speed for about half the year. We only went to full speed about 5 weeks ago because his writing has caught up, and of course, for the history & science. We do have the extension book A Child's Story of America"that I already add in. He loves that.
I really didn't want to have space in between the two guides - he might lose momentum on the skills he has acquired!
Due to illness we had to do half-speed the last couple weeks, and that is probably best. I will have to find history, science, and writing to add to it so he can keep moving forward. I suppose that is just a let down after being ready in a lot of other areas, and moving forward. He went from only being able to copy 1-3 lines of the poetry in the beginning, to doing the entire poem. He also went from doing 1 vocab word to 2 or 3.

The deal with Labor Day, 1) if he continues full-speed he will be done with Bigger by then. 2) His dad is a PS educated and by then they had moved on to a new grade, and he doesn't fully understand how this works. I am thankful it is by levels, and not grades!

HTH some. Maybe I am waaay off here. Just trying to get a couple ideas for now. Thanks!
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:51 pm

Oh thanks for clarifying! :D I'd say copying the whole poem is great! :) The cursive, well I know opinions vary, but I'd be good with the one year and occasional practice as long as he can read it and write his name in cursive. I don't think the writing would keep him from doing PHFHG. The reading - could he do 2 shorter reading sessions each day, one in the morning maybe, and one in the afternoon? Maybe set the timer for 15 minutes and call it good each time.

This may not be helpful in the least, but here is a past post where I described some things that helped my dc in reading...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13088&p=94184#p94184

I am also not sure this will, help but here is a post by Carrie for older dc who may need some phonics practice...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7429&p=54276#p54276

I think I would go back to BHFHG full-speed from what you've shared, but try to add in an extra reading time with rewards. There really won't be any need to add in additional history or science then, as it is a full program appropriate for ages 7-9 yo full-speed. You could possibly just school 4 days a week, taking the fifth day off or working on reading on that day more, and thus be able to go full-speed but get to PHFHG a tad later. Then, you can start PHFHG half-speed, and ease ds into it. I would guess he'd finish PHFHG in 1 1/2 years or so - this is what most of our dc have ended up doing when going half-speed at the start, but you'll be able to tell. Hope something here helps - just remember he is definitely within the target age range of the guides, so he is doing 'enough!' :wink: Enjoy the journey - smell the roses - he's doing just fine!!!! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:01 pm

Okay, I'm back with a couple more things.

First I believe for the rest of the year we will at least try half-speed focusing on the reading & writing. Adding in what we can of the history/science extensions when
we need more.
We still need a 'Spring Break'. I have just been waiting for Spring to come!

If we do that we will be around unit 29 when we take a 2-3 week break at the end of May, before we start our summer schedule.
We only do school 2 days a week in June & July. I will evaluate at that time to see if we need to do those days half or full speed.
We do the reading every day.

That will leave approx 4-5 units to start with in the next 'school year'. (August). Full-speed then would be 4-5 weeks, and half speed would be 8-10 weeks.
So, that means we wouldn't need to start Preparing before October or November. Most likely we would do it half-speed until the end of the year. My goal would be to
have him ready to do full speed by January. That is nearly 9 months away. So, maybe doable by then?

Thanks again!
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:10 pm

I really like your plan here, and I think it makes total sense! :D :D :D This lets you enjoy finishing the guide while upping some of the reading along the way. I know what you mean about waiting for spring - we are too! :D I will say the inclement weather makes it easier to school though - so possibly a gift from God in disguise, right?!? :) Starting full-speed PHFHG in January makes good sense. We have a ds that is on a Jan. to Dec. guide schedule. We take the summer off in the middle, and pick it back up to finish it by Dec. I have loved this because I start a new guide with two of my dc in Sept., and with my other ds in Jan. This makes the start of the year so nice - getting ready for some new and returning to some familiar. I think you have thought this out carefully and have a wonderful plan! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:13 pm

We must have been writing about the same time Julie!
I really appreciate all your help! :D It's encouraging to hear your thoughts.
I am glad my plan sounds sensible.

I am going to try some of the reading ideas you gave. He would enjoy a small treat!
If I could work on those the rest of this year and the summer I believe he would be ready to finish out Bigger and August and start on Preparing half-speed soon after.
Two timed & scheduled reading times would probably work better than trying at once, and breaking it up if needed.

I have m&m, and the younger 2 are in bed. I believe I'll go start now . . .
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

mamaduke

Post by mamaduke » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:15 pm

I just wanted to say Thank You to both of you for this conversation. TrueGRIT, it could have been me writing about my son in Bigger. I think your ds is doing even better than my 9 (10 in June) year old. He struggles so much with reading and writing. We have been half speed for what will be two years by fall. We are only on week 22. I've wanted to get him going on Preparing to be "caught up" in the fall, but after reading your thoughts (i'm going to follow the links too) I think I need to prepare him more for Preparing.:)

He has been so hard for me to"hand hold"all along with every subject. I have to read all the instructions to him in math and English.I'm working on phonics review with him and the emerging readers, slowly. He tires easily as well. I have twins that need to be in Little Hearts soon and a ds who will start Little Hands in the fall, a toddler and a newborn this month! Oh my. I need him, my oldest to be more independent! I've put off my 6 year olds on much just due to lack of time and energy.

Looking forward to a happy Spring.
Julie
9yo ds completed Little Hands, Little Hearts, Beyond, and currently in Bigger
6yo twin girls completed Little Hands, currently in Little Hearts
4yo ds alongside
1 yo darling dd, stuffing crayons in her onesie
#6 due in April!

mamaduke

Post by mamaduke » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:15 am

I also want to check opinion about some of the writing in Bigger. I only have required 1 vocabulary word, as it says 1-3. But should I be working up to 3? Also the copywork on the poem says optional? Should I be requiring him to do it as we progress through the guide? I have not been. Also with the notebooking pages, I require only the minimum. For example, with Andrew Jackson and the Old Hickory tree, he only wrote one word for each branch as was the option instead of a sentence or phrase. I really don't feel like he could handle much more than this, but what will happen with the guides just get too hard for him? Maybe he will never actually catch up to "speed'.
Julie
9yo ds completed Little Hands, Little Hearts, Beyond, and currently in Bigger
6yo twin girls completed Little Hands, currently in Little Hearts
4yo ds alongside
1 yo darling dd, stuffing crayons in her onesie
#6 due in April!

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:02 am

Hi mamaduke!
I very clearly remember ( I believe it was my3sons) reading where it's fine to start the guide with 1 vocab word, but by the end they should be doing all three to be ready for Preparing. Also, the copywork prepares child for written narrations, and more, in the PHFHG guide.
I don't recall anything about the notebooking pages. I still only have my son write the minimum on that. He usually does extra pictures, and I fill in a few "gaps" with words if
necessary.
Maybe someone can help us better on that.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:15 am

mamaduke wrote:I also want to check opinion about some of the writing in Bigger. I only have required 1 vocabulary word, as it says 1-3. But should I be working up to 3? Also the copywork on the poem says optional? Should I be requiring him to do it as we progress through the guide? I have not been. Also with the notebooking pages, I require only the minimum. For example, with Andrew Jackson and the Old Hickory tree, he only wrote one word for each branch as was the option instead of a sentence or phrase. I really don't feel like he could handle much more than this, but what will happen with the guides just get too hard for him? Maybe he will never actually catch up to "speed'.
As TrueGrit said, I have said before it is a good benchmark to work up to 3 vocabulary card by the end of Bigger Hearts, or work up to 2 vocabulary cards and require quality over quantity. :D Copywork of the poem is optional. You can do it or not. Copywork is a part of the plans in BHFHG in other ways, so if you are not doing the poetry copywork, just make sure you are having your ds do all the rest of what is assigned in the daily plans. I did not require my middle ds to do the copywork of the poem as it would have been too much for him and would have made the copywork/writing in the rest of BHFHG's plans be done to less of my satisfaction. I did, however, require my oldest ds to do the copywork back when he did BHFHG, because that fit him well. So this can be decided based on each child's needs. I would try to gradually increase ds's writing in his notebooking assignments, helping him by writing things on the markerboard for him to copy as needed. I would not worry about him never catching up to speed - he will! Writing is like reading, a slow burn that with consistent practice blossoms unexpectedly. :D Doing DITHOR helps with this as well, as does writing a small section of grammar each time. These small steps make big differences and will prepare ds nicely for PHFHG. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie