Book suggestions

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
gmhaynes

Book suggestions

Post by gmhaynes » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:05 pm

Hi, ladies!
My dd and I have really enjoyed the read alouds in Preparing this year. I was wondering if anyone else has found any other books that she could possibly read on her own that would be similar to Tirzah or Fountain of Life. From some searching I see that the author of Tirzah also wrote a book called Timna, but it is geared more towards early teens according to the reviews. These books really give a great historical context to the events in Scripture. Thanks so much to Carrie for introducing them to us! I don't think I would have found these on my own.

If anyone has found any others, I would appreciate any feedback.

Mary
Wife to Guy for 13 years
dd9 in Preparing
ds7 in Beyond
ds5 in LHFHG
ds3 starting LHTH
Deut 6:4-9

my3sons

Re: Book suggestions

Post by my3sons » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:54 pm

Those books are diamonds in the rough - real gems that are tough to find. That's one thing I love about Carrie's book choices - they are unusual and not on everyone's book lists. The best books I can think of that are like these are books you are going to get to read in the guides coming up. I wondered if you had done Bigger Hearts? If not, you may want to check out any book descriptions that appeal to you from the "Extension Package"...
http://www.heartofdakota.com/bigger-hearts-packages.php

These books are rich with history and full of exciting plots! Otherwise, the Viking Series books are outstanding, but some of those are used later in guides or DITHOR. :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

gmhaynes

Post by gmhaynes » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:01 pm

Thanks, Julie.
We have done Bigger but didn't do the Extension pack so I will take a look at those. We are planning to stick with HOD all the way through so I guess we will get to more fun books in the future. :D Too bad there aren't more books like these! I find myself wanting to sit and read them on my own!

Mary
Wife to Guy for 13 years
dd9 in Preparing
ds7 in Beyond
ds5 in LHFHG
ds3 starting LHTH
Deut 6:4-9

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:17 pm

Wish I could help more! Those kinds of books are just tough to find. History themed books can tend to sound encyclopedia-like. Not the ones in HOD though! Makes me appreciate them all the more. I've gone to ordering the extension package or extra Storytime books we didn't use (as my dc are not in the extension age range) a few years after we finish a guide from that guide, so the books are on the right independent reading level and proper maturity level. Then I let them read those for fun! It has worked well and slowly built our home library. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie