Any former Tapestry of Grace users? I need to make a decisio

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
igeagewalker

Any former Tapestry of Grace users? I need to make a decisio

Post by igeagewalker » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:35 am

I will try to make this as brief as possible. My oldest daughter is 16 going into 11th grade next year. We have decided to use Tapestry of Grace for her for the next two years to finish out her high school years. She never had the opportunity to do HOD. I have a almost 14 year old in Reve 2 Rev and 11 year olds in CTC. My husband doesn't think we can afford two different type of high school curriculums-TOG and HOD and so has talked about switching all over the TOG. I think I could "convince" him that HOD is the way to go for the younger three but there is a bit of doubt, I am sad to say. My eldest has been able to take outside classes online, which is something my other three couldn't do if we use HOD. My eldest is probably take community classes before she graduates, which is something the other three couldn't do is we use HOD. I LOVE HOD but it is very full and doesn't allow for "extra" classes outside of the curriculum, it seems. Maybe I am wrong??? People say having all kids studying the same time period with TOG makes life easier. People say the kids learn how to schedule their time using TOG. People say kids get to read the "classics' with TOG. These are all things I have heard and my mind is truly swimming!!!
Is there anyone who can make some comments-is there anyone who has switched from TOG? I know how to homeschool high school without HOD--I have my favorite resources that I used with my eldest-my guinea pig-LOL. Using HOD for high school is starting over again. I am praying and praying and I just can't find peace either way-having all kids use TOG or just the eldest use TOG and the others use HOD. I feel lost, like a fall leave blown over a dry and barren field.
I rarely ask for prayers for myself but I am asking today from any who have an extra minute to say a prayer for clarity for me.
Thanks for reading this very long long post
pam
Pam , Married to my best friend for 17 years
DD 16 homescholing
DD 13 REV. to REV.
DS Twins 11 CTC
2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 ferret, 1 horse

school4princesses

Re: Any former Tapestry of Grace users? I need to make a dec

Post by school4princesses » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:16 am

I sent you a private message.

Blessings.
Jennifer
DD 16 (in a performing arts charter school)
DD 14 (WH)
DD 10 (CTC)
DD 7 (BHFHG)

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:52 pm

Have you used TOG before? Note: I have not, but just looking at it makes my head swim. Does it look easier to implement to you? Does it look like they would have more time for outside activities? The HS HOD guides will still be a 4 day week. HOD is intentionally scheduling a day that you can either stretch the other 4 days into or do your own thing. As for the "classics", there will be time for that with HOD. I am sure that profitable ones will be scheduled even. However, the "classics" are a dubious topic with me as I own the "white-out" classical library, which I am continually previewing and whiting out if I want my children to read them. My boys used a curriculum in the same ballpark as using HOD for high school. (There are of course differences, but time-wise there would be similarities.) They both took several college courses and studied and passed CLEP tests. Now, if your husband is set on another curriculum, that is a different story. Then I would suggest that if you differ in opinion, you could present your case as an appeal, but the final decision would be in his hands.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

igeagewalker

Post by igeagewalker » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:11 pm

Thanks for the replies. I am keeping the twins in the HOD, which I am so very very happy about. I am going to try the last 9 weeks of the school year using TOG with my 13 year old and then I can go to my husband and decide what would be best for next year for her. Although I am sad that she will stop HOD for the time being, there is no saying that she won't be back!!!!!!
pam
DD 16 homescholing
DD 13 REV. to REV.
DS Twins 11 CTC

igeagewalker

Post by igeagewalker » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:54 am

hi, I hope that I am not bugging you. I am still questioning from time to time my plans. As I was praying this morning, I was realizing that one of my priorities is that my children grow spiritually throiughout their time at home. As comparing the two, HOD and TOG, they both are christian based. And HOD has scripture for each and every day. I like that ALOT. However, my daughter doesn't usually do these anyways, as she has some issues right now with feeling shamed and condemned when she reads from the bible. She has to read it on "her" terms, not on someone else's timetable. So this aspect doesn't really apply for her.
Anyways, I was just wondering from your perspective, how have your children compared spiritually between the two curriculums? And have you seen any difference in comprehension of material? Or skills? And finally, which program do your children prefer?
I know this is a lot to ask of you!!! And I know you must be busy---we are taking Spring Break right now-. So I understand if you don't have time to answer.
I know God will help me with this, I know it will all be o.k.---it is just so uncomfortable in the process!!
Thanks again for everything
Blessings.
pam
DD 16 homescholing
DD 13 REV. to REV.
DS Twins 11 CTC

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:01 pm

I have not used "Tapestry of Grace," but I have looked at it many times at many conventions, and have also talked to many former users of it. The main comment I have heard about it is that it is overwhelming. The activities and readings vary so much in maturity, length of time, skill level, and supplies, that it is difficult to gauge how long they will take or which dc will actually be able to do them. Many times, it seems they are dropped and then dc are simply reading. I realize I am generalizing here, but this is the most common comment I've heard about TOG. To me personally, it looked difficult to implement, but you can make your own judgment about that. :wink:

As far as the Biblical portion of HOD, it runs throughout, and it is incredible. I cannot put into words the blessing the Christ-centeredness of HOD has been to our family through the past decade. It has opened a dialogue about faith, temptations, triumphs, love, blessings, hardships, Godly character qualities, purity, what it means to become a Godly young man/woman, and so much more between my dc and me! I depend on HOD to keep the communication lines open, especially with my now teenager. Biblical content cannot be pulled out and dropped from HOD - it is just inherent in almost everything. This is exactly what I wanted for my dc - for them to see learning and schooling as having Christ in all of it - not separate as I learned in ps growing up. The books HOD has chosen for devotionals, the music chosen for praise and memorization of Scripture, the discussions that are planned for me with my dc, the constant utilization of the Bible as a valid resource for correct information and solid guidance in virtually every part of the plans, the meaningful follow-up activities, the instruction on prayer using the ACTS model, the sharing I get to do about my own journey through this life with the Lord by my side - it is priceless. It is going to be the reason my dc and I share this bond for the rest of our lives - this bond that has opened up lines of communication about the Lord in such a deep, heartfelt, honest, God-honoring way. So many curriculums say they are Bible-based and Christian, but HOD helps us LIVE it! Daily! Together! It is not something we read about randomly in an add-on subject way - it IS the spine and the heart of our homeschooling days together. It has done as much for ME as it has for my dc. I am closer to the Lord because of it, and my dc are too. I believe it is unparalleled, and I desperately want it for other moms and for other dc. Building a world full of people who have such a heart for the Lord! What could be greater? And the bond it creates between mother and son... mother and daughter... by homeschooling with HOD... it is truly something to treasure.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie