Medieval history writing for RTR w/ no prior writing?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
lmercon

Medieval history writing for RTR w/ no prior writing?

Post by lmercon » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:38 am

I have done no writing instruction or practice with my ds. He has severe dyslexia, and our primary focus has been reading. He will be 12 next year, and I really need to get going on writing instruction. He writes none of his own sentences for the written narration activities. He dictates to me, and I write it verbatim. I was going to use IEW next year at the student A level. I see that Medieval writing lessons are included for RTR. I know the history connection would be one he would enjoy as far as writing goes, but I'm not sure he is ready for it. Does this program require prior writing instruction? Where do you suggest I start? He is a motivated writer and is hard on himself. Nothing he writes for fun measures up to his expectations. I think he has been spoiled by years of being read great literature. He expects his writing to compare to that!
Thanks,
Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

adminpam

Re: Medieval history writing for RTR w/ no prior writing?

Post by adminpam » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:58 pm

My response is in reference to the dyslexia, and not to how RTR works with no prior writing instruction. The act of scribing (child dictates, you write) is simply an accommodation due to the dyslexia. (I have a recently diagnosed 11 year old with dyslexia and dysgraphia.) After it is on paper, you can then work through editing it. Regardless of the "intention" in the curriculum, the great thing about homeschooling is you get to take the basic ideas and make it work with you child, in whatever format that turns out to be.

Interesting comment on great literature. Never would have thought about it from that perspective! We read tons of literature too.

lmercon

Post by lmercon » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:54 pm

Just to clarify:
I'm wondering if Medieval writing lessons require a prior writing curriculum, or if it will teach writing as a stand-alone? Should I do the level A course from IEW first before going to the Medieval lessons?
Thanks,
Laura

PS. I'm not concerned about how to implement RTR as a whole, as I've had to modify things all along since the beginning.
Ds (3) - our joy!

Maadrose

Post by Maadrose » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:04 am

You can use the level A suggestions in the medieval writing guide. No problems.
"Big Mack"--Finishing up high school :)
"Cherry Berry Chiller"--geography
"Small fry"--Rev2Rev
"Happy Meal"--fun-school

http://sewhappilyeverafter.blogspot.com/
Http://roseacademyacademics.blogspot.com

Maadrose

Post by Maadrose » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:10 am

I have taught this (medieval writing by IEW) to a small group this year. There are both level a and b students in the group. In most cases the level a assignment is shorter for level a students. If you use the level a assignments it will still work. I don't know how it is scheduled in HOD, but you should just follow the suggestions in the book for level a. It's very clearly written.
"Big Mack"--Finishing up high school :)
"Cherry Berry Chiller"--geography
"Small fry"--Rev2Rev
"Happy Meal"--fun-school

http://sewhappilyeverafter.blogspot.com/
Http://roseacademyacademics.blogspot.com

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:34 pm

Laura,

I'm thinking that you may be asking something different than what has been answered so far, but I may be off-base. I'm thinking that you're asking whether your son needs to complete IEW's Student Writing Intensive A prior to beginning Medieval-History-Based Writing. Your son actually does not need need to do IEW's SWI-A first, as the instruction in Medieval History-Based Writing is so well-done that no prior IEW experience is necessary. :D I had one son who had done IEW- SWI A and B prior to Medieval History-Based Writing Lessons, and another son who had no prior IEW experience when coming to Medieval History-Based Writing Lessons. Both did equally well with the program (and my husband taught the lessons to my second son and did well even though both father and son had no prior IEW experience)! I also much prefer Medieval History-Based Writing Lessons to IEW-SWI. 8)

There are two levels of instruction offered within Medieval History-Based Writing Lessons (Level A and Level B). Both are scheduled in the HOD guide. As long as your son sticks to the Level A schedule, he will be fine. We would also encourage you to follow the Medieval Writing plans the way they are scheduled within the HOD guide, as we spread out the writing sessions to keep them more manageable, and we also omit several of the writing units that are either covered in Rod and Staff or are covered in other ways through HOD. :D The HOD schedule also allows for some great connections between the history and writing portions of the plans! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

lmercon

Post by lmercon » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:07 pm

Carrie,
Thank you! You answered my questions perfectly.
Laura
Ds (3) - our joy!