Cle language to Rod and Staff

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
carrielaurie

Cle language to Rod and Staff

Post by carrielaurie » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:32 pm

We just started using Rod and Staff 4. My daughter is in 4th grade. Prior to that we used CLE 300 series which we completed. The 300 series is equivalent to 3rd grade. My question is, can I go from CLE 3 to Rod and staff 4. She seems to be doing well so far, but we are only 10 lessons in. I'm just a little confused because I know Rod and Staff is advanced. My daughter will be starting preparing in a couple of weeks. Thanks!

lapeseven

Re: Cle language to Rod and Staff

Post by lapeseven » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:47 pm

I went from CLE to Rod and Staff. CLE is very high quality in grammar. The only area where my dd had some trouble was in writing. She picked it up quickly, however. CLE doesn't do much writing instruction. They have an extra book you can purchase to help teach writing skills, but it's mostly ideas, not instruction. Rod and Staff does teach more writing. The addition of the writing programs in upper levels of HOD make the writing instruction top notch yet very incremental.
Cathy

carrielaurie

Post by carrielaurie » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:46 pm

Thank you!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:04 pm

Cathy already gave such an awesome answer, that I'll just reassure you that the writing first picks up in R & S English 4, so I think your dd will do just fine with it! :D We have loved the thoroughness of the topics, the inclusion of writing skills, and the incremental teaching of skills in R & S English through the years. I think you will too! :D Be sure to do 2/3 of it orally or on a markerboard as HOD suggests, reserving just one section or so to write, as this is a time saver that doesn't cause retention loss. It helps make doing R & S English all the way through feasible and enjoyable. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

carrielaurie

Post by carrielaurie » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:14 am

Thanks, Julie! I have been teaching everything in the teacher manual (reviews, how to introduce the lesson, etc.) and then doing all the oral exercises. Finally, I had her completing all the written. I have really loved it so far and my daughter is doing well. However, it was taking a long time. I will cut back a bit. Thanks so much for following up with my question.

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:32 pm

Wr fo the oral review from the TM then read amd discuss the textbook lesson..then we do almost everything orally or on the whiteboard. R&S 5 is taking us no more than 15-20m so you can let go a lot! If we write anything, it is usually noore than 2 from each section. If they are just looking for which of two words belong (i.e. have/has) or which part of speech, i just have mine write the word. We discuss deeply, write little. It works wonderfully.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling