Question about DITHOR

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
schultzjen13

Question about DITHOR

Post by schultzjen13 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:41 pm

Can someone explain to me how you use DITHOR part-time? I know some of you use it only 2-3 times per week. So, do you only have the kids read out of their books 2-3 times per week, and do the activities for those days? Or do you still have them read each day, but only do a few of the activities? I guess I've had a hard time knowing how to manage DITHOR. If you only have them read and do activities 2-3 times per week, does that mean that you are in a genre for a lot longer than 3 weeks? Thanks so much!
DD11 - Creation to Christ
DS11 - Creation to Christ
DD7 - Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory
DS5 - Little Hearts for His Glory
DD3 - Having fun!

Molly

Re: Question about DITHOR

Post by Molly » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:25 pm

We do three days a week. We do three days of reading with three days of lessons, so still taking fifteen days to read a book. But it ends up taking five weeks instead of three. Then if we do the project at the end we do it over three days so at the most a genre will take six weeks to finish. Hope that helps.
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH

schultzjen13

Post by schultzjen13 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:29 pm

That's what I was thinking. That makes it more manageable. My only problem now is restraining my son from finishing his books too quickly!
DD11 - Creation to Christ
DS11 - Creation to Christ
DD7 - Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory
DS5 - Little Hearts for His Glory
DD3 - Having fun!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:26 pm

DITHOR is planned for 5 days a week in Bigger Hearts, and for 3 days a week in PHFHG on up. So, if that is the pacing chosen, dc would get through all 9 genres in Bigger Hearts, and 4-5 genres in PHFHG on up. I agree, it is tough to hold the dc back from tearing off with the books and finishing them speed-style! :lol: The book selections are just that good. However, I am always reminded of the 'slow and savor' bit of Charlotte Mason's philosophy being successful in this situation - our dc ALWAYS mention DITHOR books when I periodically ask them what their favorite all-time books have been. :wink: Just thought I'd share that so you can feel good when you have to say, "Time to stop reading today!" :lol:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie