MtMM for 10th grade?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Sue G in PA

MtMM for 10th grade?

Post by Sue G in PA » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:33 pm

Hi ladies. I hope everyone is well. I haven't posted in a long time...just trying to finish out our school year and keep up some motivation, lol. 7th grader is enjoying Rev to Rev and I'm excited to move into MtMM next year! So here is my question as I ponder choices for my upcoming 10th grade son. This year, he is using MFW US1 (it is an 11th grade program using BJU text) with his 11th grade sister. I'm not expecting as much from him and it's been going well. He is able to keep up with the reading but I'm looking ahead to next year and am just not sure what I want to do. 1. Continue with MFW US2...finishing out the BJU text...and the other courses offered in that program. 2. Put him in MtMM with his 8th grade brother and beef it up. So wise ladies on the HOD board :D how exactly would I "beef it up" if I were to go with option 2? :D AND, if you are so inclined to comment on this next question, feel free! Could he then use the Geography Guide for 11th or would it be too "easy"? Thanks for any suggestions you have! Oh, I failed to mention that he will likely NOT use the Science in MtMM as he will be taking Bio with our co-op. Most likely. Looking forward to hearing your responses!

8arrows

Re: MtMM for 10th grade?

Post by 8arrows » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:22 pm

My daughter did REV2REV this year for 9th and will be doing MTMM for 10th. Her older brothers had the BJU text from completing MFW Am history 1, so I just use that for her extensions. I don't bother about lining it up with what she is reading, but since we are doing 1/2 the book this year and 1/2 next year with MTMM, it amazing how often it lines up perfectly. I also had the tests, so it has made for easy grading as well. She will be doing HOD world history in 11th and then go back to the geography guide in 12th to be paired up with younger siblings. So, obviously, I think your plan would work well. It is working well here. I am enjoying her freshman year! I am using Excellence in Writing, Vocabulary Cartoons, Easy Grammar Ultimate, Teaching the Classics/Window to the World, and a couple of guides from SMARR with whole books for her English credit. The EIW and Windows to the World will continue into next year as we got a late start. I am hoping to use the World history guide as is and then the geography part of the first HS guide as is with my own science and literature since we are using it in 12th instead of 9th or 10th. I am enjoying HS with my daughter. I think it is going very well.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

Sue G in PA

Post by Sue G in PA » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:17 am

Thanks, Melissa! I'm glad your Rev to Rev year is going well! I will be ordering MFW US2 for my dd16 so I will have the components to supplement as necessary. I'm thinking of using Lightning Lit. Late American for Lit. MFW doesn't actually schedule any Lit. for 12th...it's more like a pick and choose classic books to read and discuss (which is good...but I need documentation or our state.). I have science, math, Grammar/Lit/writing, HIstory, etc. I think it will work, too. :) There will be plenty for him to do to make this credit worth.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:19 pm

8arrows did such a great job of helping you already, and she knows much more about this than I do, so I just get to come in and say "Hi, Sue!" :D It sounds like this will be a good plan. :) It was good to hear your year is going well - I have been thinking of you and was happy to read this. Good to hear from ya! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Sue G in PA

Post by Sue G in PA » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:41 pm

Hi Julie! :D We're having a great year. Hope you are, too. I've had to step back from all the boards for a while so I could concentrate on school and staying motivated. It's too easy for me to get distracted. :oops: I'm sure I'll be posting more as I'm planning but I'm grateful to know that others are or have used MtMM for high school!