Elapsed time between reading and narration

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
abrightmom

Elapsed time between reading and narration

Post by abrightmom » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:50 pm

Does CM have anything to say about the amount of time there can or should be between a reading and a narration? I am thinking of the student who is reading history or science independently and then required to give an oral narration. Should the oral narration immediately follow the reading or can it be done at a later time during a teacher/student meeting? Perhaps waiting to narrate is a separate skill to be refined with an experienced oral narrator.

Thoughts? Experiences? Advice? Trying to refine scheduling and minimize interruptions here.
Katrina 8) Wife to Ben, husband extraordinaire! God is so good!
DS21, DS20, DD18
Levi DS14

Tansy

Re: Elapsed time between reading and narration

Post by Tansy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:08 pm

In our house its a mixed bag. I allow my children to take notes or draw a picture to help them "remember." My eldest does rather poorly if she reads and then has to immediately narrate, but at dinner a horrible narration during the day gets done beautifully for dad... go figure... I think it just takes way longer to process through her brain. For my younger child any time after she has read it, works. 30 seconds... to 5 hours makes no difference in her performance.

If they do better right away then schedule it that way :-)
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫