One or two programs?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
fogmamma

One or two programs?

Post by fogmamma » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:13 am

I just started homeschooling my three boys(I have a baby and a 3 year old as well) and I am having a very hard time figuring out placement. My kids all read above grade level. My boys are in 3rd, 5th and 6th grades. I was considering doing the Preparing Hearts, but I am concerned about it being challenging enough for my oldest one. Has anyone had this age gap? How did you do it? I really love having us all together so that we can do activities together. My main priority is making sure that my oldest is challenged. They are all very advanced for their ages and they tend to get through material so quickly that they become bored. I want to challenge them without going so far ahead that they miss things as well.....

-Sarah

TrueGRIT

Re: One or two programs?

Post by TrueGRIT » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:59 pm

Hi Sarah! Welcome to the board.

Preparing Hearts does have an extension package for 5th-6th graders.

That being said, I know others can help you out more in placement that have done that before.
One thing to get in mind is that placement involves more than reading levels, but a lot of other skills besides.
Another thing to consider is if they are familiar with a Charlotte Mason style of education.
It sounds as though you have checked the placement chart, but you could look again keeping all this in mind.

I know someone else with more experience will chime in soon. We are only doing 2 guides with an occasional LHTH for a 3 yo.
It works very well for us to be separated, although they do sometimes join in on the others activities.

HTH some!
Mikki
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:54 pm

Welcome Sarah! Could you tell us a bit more about your boys such as how do they each place individually on the placement chart: http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php? What sort of curriculum have you used before? Have they been narrating, doing much writing, and what sort of books have they been reading? It's possible that they could all be placed in the same program but it may or may not be the best choice. Here is a great thread that talks about to combine or not to combine and choosing the right program: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9344 If you could share a bit more, I'm sure many ladies can share their ideas and experience to try to help you find the right placement. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

fogmamma

Post by fogmamma » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:48 pm

Thanks for the advice. I have worked it out!

-Sarah

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:46 pm

Wow, that was quick! What did you decide? Oh, and welcome to the HOD Board - nice to meet you! :D I have 3 boys too, though not the littles after them. Boys are a busy blessing, aren't they? :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

fogmamma

Post by fogmamma » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:26 pm

I have been looking at this curriculum for about a year or so now, but they were at a different level then. I chose to use Preparing. I am starting on Monday...I can't wait!

-Sarah

Julie.....btw, I LOVE having boys. I only have one girl and she is magnificent, but I wouldn't trade my boys for anything. My youngest is another boy, too. So cute and kissable! My heart is definitely full.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:00 am

Very exciting - hope you have a super start! :D PHFHG is a wonderful guide!
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie