Phonics?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
alydar

Phonics?

Post by alydar » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:19 pm

My ds8 seems to be a whole word kind of fellow in that he doesn't really tend to break down words. Rather he sees the word in context and may recognize some part and then is able to get what it is. His learning to read was sort of a hodge-podge affair but he's turned out to be a great reader. He's doing level 2 in DITHOR and is handling the book selections well.

My dd6 completed The Reading Lesson and then went straight into the Emerging Readers schedule. She's not quite as strong a reader as ds8 was when he did it but she's doing it at a younger age than he did. She tends to sound out words in order to figure them out so I guess she's more phonetically oriented.

I guess I'm just wondering if I should incorporate a phonics program somewhere. How important is it and to what degree of study is good? (meaning: I know there are tons of spelling rules but is it necessary to know them all to be a good reader and speller?)
Whitney

DS 10.5
DD 8.5

DS 5.5

Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Psalm 103:1

lissiejo

Re: Phonics?

Post by lissiejo » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:00 pm

Just sent you a private message :)
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:44 pm

Since dd completed "The Reading Lesson" and has moved on to the Emerging Reader's Set quite smoothly, I'd just get "Explode the Code" workbooks 2 and 3, and have her work through a page each day or so of those until she completes them. They are short, fun, inexpensive, and review phonics in a consistent way that fits nicely with the Emerging Reader's Set. :D
alydar wrote:... I know there are tons of spelling rules but is it necessary to know them all to be a good reader and speller?)

The HOD spelling lists and activities, partnered with R & S English, cover the rest of these nicely. Perfect recitation of spelling rules does not necessarily result in a perfect reader. :wink: In fact, there are certainly dc who can recite every rule but read very little. Not to say that knowing rules doesn't have benefits - it's just not the only way to become a solid reader. It sounds like your dd has the best of both worlds. If you feel dd is not able to progress through the Emerging Reader's well enough with doing the Explode the Code workbooks alongside the set, you can always pause, and go through a different phonics program such as "Reading Made Easy." However, based on what you've shared about her progress thus far, it sounds like she'll be fine with reading the ERS and doing the ETC workbooks. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

alydar

Post by alydar » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:21 pm

Thanks Julie! I've never used the ETC program but have always heard great things about it. She's doing well so far in the Em. readers. She does struggle a teeny bit more than ds did when he did it but I have to remember that she is a full year behind him. He did it at age 7 and she's doing it now at age 6. So she's holding her own pretty well I think. :D I'll check out ETC though to maybe supplement. :D
Whitney

DS 10.5
DD 8.5

DS 5.5

Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Psalm 103:1

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:41 pm

Sounds like she is doing great - way to go dd! :D One other thing I have done to draw out the set a bit is to use the supplemental titles suggested in the ERS too. Enjoy seeing your dd blossom as a reader - it is a trying thing teaching phonics - but then it is such a triumph when it's all said and done! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

alydar

Post by alydar » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:21 am

Julie,

Would it be of any benefit for ds8 to do phonics work at this point? Or should I just let him keep truckin' on the way he is?
Whitney

DS 10.5
DD 8.5

DS 5.5

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:21 pm

alydar wrote:Julie,

Would it be of any benefit for ds8 to do phonics work at this point? Or should I just let him keep truckin' on the way he is?
If your ds did not go through at least one formal phonics program, it would be worth having him do Explode the Code 4, just a page or so a day. It would fill in any possible gaps that tend to show themselves later for dc who took off reading quite easily on their own and maybe didn't go through a year of a formal phonics program. However, you will know best here! :D It is wonderful that he is cruising along with DITHOR! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

alydar

Post by alydar » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:42 pm

Yes, DITHOR has been good for him in the actual reading part. His reading skills have soared. It's the work afterwards that gets some huffs and puffs from him. :P But we're working on those skills gradually and the attitude, too. :wink: Thanks for the ETC suggestion!
Whitney

DS 10.5
DD 8.5

DS 5.5

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:13 pm

Thank you ladies for this post and the suggestions. It confirms for me to continue with R&S and the ER's,
and also to try ETC for my ds who is struggling with some phonics.
It was only after the fact, that I discovered what we used for K & 1st wasn't complete phonics instruction, although it seemed like it. :(
(that was before I discovered HOD - and now, :D )

mikki
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)