Goals before Christmas break

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MomtoJGJE

Goals before Christmas break

Post by MomtoJGJE » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:31 pm

I feel like if I post this somewhere it'll actually get done!

Main goal - get 19 more days of school counted so we can reach 100 days before Christmas break. In theory if I do that, then I should easily be able to get the remaining days of our 180 days counted before the end of June! FWIW I'm fine with counting our Christmas reading/crafts/baking as school ;)

Jayden - Starting unit 21 of Preparing Monday... Goal - complete unit 23 before we break. Should be do-able even doing half days for most of the days.

Grace - Starting until 31 of Beyond Monday... Goal - finish before Christmas. Not sure if this will happen, but she goes through a day so fast we've been adding in our day 5 to day 4. If we continue that it will not be an issue. Especially if I tell her that as soon as she's through with the guide she can be done until after her birthday (Jan 5th) She'll probably be willing to work on Saturdays for a few weeks ;)

Julianna - I don't remember where she is in LHFHG... Goal - get the rest of the unit we are in plus two more units done before we break. Not a problem

Evie - Read to her and do Fingerplays at least twice a week between now and Christmas. Poor thing hasn't done any school since Penelope was born and she's in withdrawal :( :lol:

Penelope - hold her and kiss her and squish her a ton!

Now.. We will see what I actually accomplish over the next 35 days!

psreit

Re: Goals before Christmas break

Post by psreit » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:50 pm

I've given up trying to plan that far in advance. :) I am just 'going with the flow' when it comes to school, especially this time of year. There are certain things I'd like to accomplish in a given amount of time, but things come up and then I have to change plans. So, it's a day at a time for us. :D
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

FiveLittlePeaches

Post by FiveLittlePeaches » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:11 pm

That sounds reasonable. I hope you're able to accomplish your goals!

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:51 pm

That sounds like a great plan! I especially like the loving and squishing on Penelope. :wink: It sounds like you are enjoying that precious new baby time. :D

We're planning on continuing school as usual up until December 21. We started a little advent/carol study last Friday that we plan to continue along with our regular schedule. It's something that we are doing on our 5th day so doesn't add any extra to our regular day with CTC. This week will be a bit of a challenge for us since we are taking Thursday off for Thanksgiving so we won't have a 5th day this week so we'll have to figure out another time to get our extra stuff in. The other weeks, we'll continue as usual. So there are 5 more weeks until then and we're on unit 12 this week. So we're planning on finishing unit 16 of CTC before Christmas. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:37 pm

We finished up week 13 of Preparing and are taking off this whole week for Thanksgiving. YEAH!!! Not sure whether we are taking 1 or 2 weeks for Christmas though. We either have 3-4 more weeks before Christmas break so that would get us through Unit 17 or 18.

You plan sounds very doable. :D
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:05 pm

We finished up most of week 13 or REV2REV, but we are behind in science. I think the best idea is to shoot to be through week 16 by Christmas and use the last week before Christmas break to make sure everything is caught up and graded. We will take a 2 week Christmas break. Beyond is not getting done consistently, so my goal there is just to be consistent in the next 4 week with Beyond. We do not need to talk about where I am in that guide. However, we are doing great with the three Rs. And my littles do no mind catching up in the summer. Not so, the REV2REV crew!!!!!! It does help to see our goals in writing, doesn't it!
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:06 pm

Great goals - it is always good to have something to shoot for, knowing you may need to give a bit of grace to yourself if they go a bit astray too! :wink: Lord willing, may you accomplish each of these well-thought-out goals with ease! :D :D :D I am right now sitting in the hospital overnight with my little Emmett as he receives IV fluids for dehydration from the flu. You never know God's plans, but that doesn't mean He isn't alright with us trying to make some worthy goals to use our time well for Him. Your goals look terrific - may they each be check, check, checked off the list with a flourish (one of my favorite things to do as a list maker myself)! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:01 pm

my3sons wrote:Great goals - it is always good to have something to shoot for, knowing you may need to give a bit of grace to yourself if they go a bit astray too! :wink: Lord willing, may you accomplish each of these well-thought-out goals with ease! :D :D :D I am right now sitting in the hospital overnight with my little Emmett as he receives IV fluids for dehydration from the flu. You never know God's plans, but that doesn't mean He isn't alright with us trying to make some worthy goals to use our time well for Him. Your goals look terrific - may they each be check, check, checked off the list with a flourish (one of my favorite things to do as a list maker myself)! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Oh no Julie! :( I am praying for little Emmett and you. I pray he recovers quickly and the rest of your family stays well.
Patty in NC

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:13 am

I love seeing everyone's goals! :) Lists make me happy ;)

I'm so sorry that Emmett is so sick! :( I hope everyone gets completely well before Thanksgiving!

We normally take from Christmas through January 7th-ish off... The one year I tried to do longer (a month total) the kids were begging to start back so we started back right after Christmas! :shock:

I explained to my two oldest where I wanted them to be before Christmas... Then I told them that we WERE going to get to 100 days before Christmas. That if they finished where I wanted them to be before we start our break (likely the Friday before Christmas) then they could do fun stuff for the other days. Of course that motivates one but not the other :roll: but we'll get to it.

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:48 pm

MomtoJGJE wrote:I feel like if I post this somewhere it'll actually get done!

Main goal - get 19 more days of school counted so we can reach 100 days before Christmas break. In theory if I do that, then I should easily be able to get the remaining days of our 180 days counted before the end of June! FWIW I'm fine with counting our Christmas reading/crafts/baking as school ;)

Jayden - Starting unit 21 of Preparing Monday... Goal - complete unit 23 before we break. Should be do-able even doing half days for most of the days.

Grace - Starting until 31 of Beyond Monday... Goal - finish before Christmas. Not sure if this will happen, but she goes through a day so fast we've been adding in our day 5 to day 4. If we continue that it will not be an issue. Especially if I tell her that as soon as she's through with the guide she can be done until after her birthday (Jan 5th) She'll probably be willing to work on Saturdays for a few weeks ;)

Julianna - I don't remember where she is in LHFHG... Goal - get the rest of the unit we are in plus two more units done before we break. Not a problem

Evie - Read to her and do Fingerplays at least twice a week between now and Christmas. Poor thing hasn't done any school since Penelope was born and she's in withdrawal :( :lol:

Penelope - hold her and kiss her and squish her a ton!

Now.. We will see what I actually accomplish over the next 35 days!
Well, we have one more day, maybe two if I do something on Saturday.

We all got the flu, so we lost a week.... But we still made our goal of 100 days before Christmas... I haven't counted exactly how many, but we made 100 :)

Jayden, we will finish unit 22, so pretty close for losing a week :)

Grace, she will finish Beyond (my biggest goal!) She worked really really hard, and we did squish 6 days into each week. She even did some work during our sick week. She was motivated. Well, I guess technically we won't finish completely. She still has the last two ER books to finish. I forgot to make her read for a while there. For some reason just missed that box! But it'll work well to let her finish that while Jayden finishes the last section of level 2 DITHOR.

Julianna, we haven't really done much. She has only done the one unit she was in. It was all I could do with everything else going on to get Jayden and Grace done. She did about one days worth of work each week.

Evie, we have made her goal :) It wasn't always ME doing the work with her, but it was done

Penelope is still the most awesome baby in the world! I love just watching her and loving her! That was the easiest goal to reach ;)

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:17 am

It was so nice to read your update Lora Beth! :D It's always nice to revisit our goals and see how we are doing. It sounds like you all did fantastic with your goals even with the obstacle of the flu. Congratulations!

We finished up week 16 in CTC yesterday and did our last advent devotional today. It hasn't gone exactly as planned, but we are pretty much on target for where we were hoping to be. Now it's time to take a week or so off. Merry Christmas everyone! :D
Patty in NC

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:35 pm

We just finished Unit 18 I wanted to be on 19 but were really close. Yes I am behind on my blogging :-)
taking 2 weeks off and starting 19 in January. We will probably spent one month working on Fridays to add an extra week of vacation to our schedule. But as of now we are on vacation.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫