How young is too young for Emerging Readers?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
lissiejo

How young is too young for Emerging Readers?

Post by lissiejo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:14 am

I used the ER set with my oldest when she was in 1st grade and it was good for her because she needed work on reading comprehension. I know each kid is different, and my next girl doesn't have any problems with reading comprehension. So now I'm trying to determine what to do with her. She's a Kindergartner using Little Hearts for His Glory. We've already completed a phonics program and I'm reinforcing her knowledge through a second program, but she's already reading on a 2nd grade level. I was considering going forward with the ER program, but then I'm not sure what to do once she gets to 1st grade.

Right now I'm just letting her read all she wants, which is quite a bit, and encouraging her to try books a little harder than her picture books. I'm not into pushing my kids too fast, but she picked up reading to very quickly and just blazed ahead! Any thoughts?
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

TrueGRIT

Re: How young is too young for Emerging Readers?

Post by TrueGRIT » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:47 am

If they are 'school age' , and ready for it I don't think you would need to wait.
Although I would take it slow - gradually getting them used to it.
If she's ready for it- she's ready for it! :D

If you are concerned about her starting DITHR too soon, because of starting the ER's early you could also take that slower.
Add in a few more books at both levels to prepare her for that.

Otherwise, go for it and have fun! :D That's my vote.
Mikki
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:22 pm

I would vote for going ahead with the ERs. You could always do the extra books listed for each week too taking twice as long to move through them. Once you are done with them, if you feel she is still too young for DITHOR, you could have her read the level 2 book pack but not start the DITHOR workbook saving that until the following year. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

gca123

Post by gca123 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:09 pm

We are using LHFHG with my DD who is in Kindergarten and she is doing the ER's. She loves the books and isn't have any problems. Hope that helps.

Camille

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:15 pm

We are using the Emerging Reader's Set with Emmett, who is 5 1/2 yo and in Unit 12 of LHFHG. We just started it with the "Early Reader's Bible," and it is going great! We will then move on to the "Beginner's Bible" next. This adds around 9 weeks to the ERS. We did this with my oldest ds, and it gave just enough extra reading to stretch it out nicely. I would not plan on starting DITHOR any younger than 7 yo though. I may have Emmett do the Supplemental Books suggested for the ERS as he goes too, as I'd like to wait until he is writing better and comprehending better before starting DITHOR 2/3. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:49 pm

Thanks for all the ideas ladies! I appreciate you reinforcing what I was feeling was the right way to go! Thanks for the idea of doing the two different Bible's too, Julie. I hadn't thought about that.
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory