Newbie needs help!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
wgwilliams

Newbie needs help!

Post by wgwilliams » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:44 am

Hello, I am new here and I have a few questions. I have been researching HOD for a few weeks now and I have pretty much decided this is the curriculum for us. My daughter is 6 about to be 7, she can ready very well but has no desire. She also has no desire to write. She loves math, but again no desire with the current curriculum. My question is, we would be starting it now (or as soon as i order it and get it in). So given the 34 weeks i will be behind. Is there anyway to purchase only what I need from this point? Will we be confused if we start at our corresponding week? Or are there things we can skip in order to be on target to complete and finish by the end of May?

Also, how in the world do i even know what to order? I am so confused with the basic and complete and deluxe package and what to choose!! Can someone please help me with that?

Thanks in advance!!

Wendy

TrueGRIT

Re: Newbie needs help!

Post by TrueGRIT » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:35 pm

Hello!
I am not the best person to fully answers your questions but I wanted to give you a start.
First of all you need to check the placement chart to see where you need to be - you can ask questions about that if you need to :)
After that the Economy, Science add-on/basic packages are the 'meat & potatoes' of the program. The Deluxe is a nice extra if necessary.
The math & English you can use HOD's suggestions or your own choices. We have done both and our guides run more smoothly when we follow their suggestion! :D
As far as when you start and how the units go - in home schooling there is not a law saying the school year has to end in May! :) Although I know some prefer it.
We had 5 units left at the end of last so-called 'school year'. What we did was a a little bit of work at our summer school days and finished up the rest when our 'school year' started back. Some friends do school year round in a different manner. It depends on the family. It is best not to skip units to fully prepare them for future guides.
Hope this enough to help until someone else chimes in!

Mikki
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:05 pm

You are never behind in homeschooling! :wink: Like the previous poster mentioned you can do things at any pace you want, and it's not a problem to start the next year with the same guide. Many people like to do it this way since it gives an easier start to the new year coming back to a familiar guide. :) You wouldn't want to skip any of the units especially starting out. The guide will help you gradually start to learn new skills and as the guide progresses those will be added upon. So you want to start at the beginning to get the flow of the guide and all of the instruction along the way.

As far as placement, check out the placement chart http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php to see where your dd best places then check back here if you have any placement questions.

Once you have decided which program to get, you can go to that guides shopping page. At the top of the page, you'll see a little light bulb that says helpful tips on how to order. Click on that and it will lead you through the order process and what you need for that guide. So for Beyond as an example, you would want the economy package and the basic package as the bare minimum. Then you would need to decide what you want to use for reading. Then if you can afford it, one of the deluxe packages would give you all the storytime selections for the guide. You can use the library for this if you need to economize, but it's nice to have these books on hand.

Hopefully that will get you started. Feel free to ask more questions. The ladies here love to help. Welcome to HOD! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:09 am

I wouldn't skip anything. Just work until you're ready to stop, then pick it back up when you begin again. There's no 'be done by' date with homeschooling, and certainly not with HOD. Just make sure to fulfill your state requirement.

We're using Bigger Hearts this year, but only 4 days a week. This will leave some units unfinished when we stop the end of May'ish. We'll just pick it back up in August, then start Preparing when we're finished with Bigger.

We LOVE HOD!! I hope you do too. :D
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:24 pm

Hi there, Wendy! Welcome to the HOD Boards! :D Take a deep breath and relax, because HOD will have your back. It is a complete curriculum that has great balance, and it enables us homeschool moms to take great joy in our homeschooling rather than being stressed out! You are not 'behind,' so no need to feel rushed or worried. :wink: I would love to hear where you think your dd places best according to the placement chart though. I'd especially like to know what books she is reading, and whether she is writing letters, words, or full sentences each day comfortably. What math has she done? This will all help us help you get started off with the right placement. It will also help us tell you what you need to order, so when you get a chance, check out that placement chart and answer these few questions - then we'll all chime in to help! This board is full of encouraging ladies. You've come to a good place - looking forward to getting to know ya! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie