cursive handwriting?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Charika30

cursive handwriting?

Post by Charika30 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:09 pm

Hi all,

We are almost done with the italic D cursive writing book. Just wondering what we should use after? Should we order the next workbook or cease cursive handwriting? Is there cursive in preparing? We are doing Bigger... Thanks! :)

holdinon

Re: cursive handwriting?

Post by holdinon » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:08 pm

How far into Bigger are you?

Preparing doesn't have a cursive program; however, it has dc doing some of the copywork in cursive. So in order to keep up the skills until you get to Preparing, maybe you could just have dc do some of the Bigger copywork in cursive rather than doing another book. I wouldn't have him/her completely switch to cursive, but enough to keep it fresh and practice--Maybe do the poetry copywork in cursive, but keep the science and history in manuscript. (This is assuming dc has mastered the cursive. If you think he/she needs more work (as opposed to just practice to keep it fresh), there certainly wouldn't be anything wrong with getting the next book :wink: .
2013-2014 year:
Geography, CtC, Preparing, Bigger, Beyond, and Little Hearts (and surviving!)

(Completed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing, CtC, RtR, and RevtRev)

Charika30

Post by Charika30 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:03 pm

Ok, thank you! Great suggestions! :)

joyfulhomeschooler

Post by joyfulhomeschooler » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:35 pm

We did cursive last year and are doing Bigger this year. Since there isn't cursive practice in it and I didn't want my guy to forget it, he has been doing the Bible verses and science verses in cursive. I don't have him do his dictation in cursive though because I want him focused on spelling at that time and not thinking of how to form the letters. Getting the practice with the two verses a week seems to be working great for him.
DS 11 CTC
DD 9 CTC
DS 4 Before Five in a Row
DS 2 Before Five in a Row (tag along)

Charika30

Post by Charika30 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:12 pm

Oh that is another great idea! Thank you joyfulhomeschooler!!! :-D I didn't realize how simplistic it really is... Wonderful!!! ;-)