Order of history

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
annaz

Order of history

Post by annaz » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:50 pm

Can you tell me what order the history in the guides go in CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev MTMM?

I know in CTC that we did some timeline backtracking, so could I say that it went in an order via civilization rather than chronological? I know CTC was chronological as a whole, and the guides progress in order, but per guide I'm trying to figure out the type of history order. I'm also wondering for the rest of the upper guides. Make sense?
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

raceNzanesmom

Re: Order of history

Post by raceNzanesmom » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:36 am

The website shows the Table of Contents for each guide, perhaps that would help.
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:16 am

Annaz,

This is a good question. CTC was mainly chronological in its order as much of it was stories from the Bible. So, in planning CTC I put the events in chronological order, even in the Gospels. In that way kiddos can get a flow of time. :D

RTR was harder to place strictly in chronological order, because it is so biographical. As we all know from trying to place a person on a timeline, people live over many years and can often be placed in many different times depending on which part of their lives you are focusing. So, in RTR, we move forward through history in a chronological direction, doing some backtracking or peeking ahead off and on as we meet up with people at various points in their lives. :D

Revival to Revolution is also chronological in general, however George Washington's World jumps around a bit as we learn about his contemporaries all around the world. The Story of the Thirteen Colonies is more chronological, but as we insert The Growth of the British Empire, there can be some stepping back or looking forward along the chronological journey. :D

Missions to Modern Marvels is also a chronological guide, however we did step back a bit and overlap some with the end of Revival to Revolution to provide a good feel for history and the changes occurring at that juncture as we head into Modern Times. MTMM includes a focus on various heroes and missionaries around the world, so as their lives intersect with the flow of history there is some looking back and some glimpses forward. World history is also inserted along with American history, making some stretches of time receive more focus than others. This requires kiddos to really synthesize events happening in America and around the world together with the lives of the people who lived during those times. So, it definitely requires an older learner. :D

All in all we march forward through time in as chronological a fashion a possible, with the resources we're using, stepping in and out of the lives of the people and events that make up history. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

annaz

Post by annaz » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:30 am

This is EXACTLY what I wanted to know.
Thanks Carrie!
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog