Adventure read-alouds --King Of The Wind is Too Hard

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kristin0713

Adventure read-alouds --King Of The Wind is Too Hard

Post by kristin0713 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:03 pm

We are on Unit 5 of Beyond. During the first four Units, spread over 6 weeks, we actually read two biographies--Helen Keller and Squanto. My DD's narration and retelling skills are quite good and her comprehension of these books was strong. We started King of the Wind this week but it seems to be just wayyyy above her comprehension level, much more difficult than the two we just read. She is interested in it but I find that I have to explain everything. So what else coud I try with her that is really exciting? My library does not have A Lion to Guard Us--that was my next choice. Sword in The Tree sees too boyish. The Twenty-One Balloons doesn't seem too exciting. Other suggestions?

netpea

Re: Adventure read-alouds --King Of The Wind is Too Hard

Post by netpea » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:15 pm

My DD loved sword in the tree. :)
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

Robbi

Post by Robbi » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:35 pm

My daughter also enjoyed Sword in the Tree. 21 Balloons was very good, but slow to start.
Robbi
DD 19 Graduated from HOD
DS 15 USI & II combo
DS 10 RTR
DS 8 Preparing
We have now used all the guides!

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:28 pm

The Sword in the Tree is EXCELLENT. My ds could have listened to it in one sitting. I loved it too and didn't find it boy'ish. The main character is a boy, but it's such a good book I don't think that matters. The same way my ds loved Baby Island and that's very much a "girl" book. But, it's well written and exciting, just like Sword in the Tree.
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

gmhaynes

Post by gmhaynes » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:30 am

We are in Sword in the Tree right now and my dd9 can't help but listen when I am reading it to my ds6. The both love it! We also found King of the Wind way too hard.
Wife to Guy for 13 years
dd9 in Preparing
ds7 in Beyond
ds5 in LHFHG
ds3 starting LHTH
Deut 6:4-9

psreit

Post by psreit » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:46 am

Sarah Whitcher's Story is listed for historical fiction in the boy's pack (definitely for a girl, too). I read that with my dd for the adventure book and then used Little House in the Big woods for historical fiction. The Sarah Whitcher story is very good. That can fit into adventure as well. :D
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

luv2homeschool

Post by luv2homeschool » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:59 pm

We listened to King of the Wind on CD from the library last year and my kids did fully understand what was going on. The 21 Balloons was one of my all-time favorite books as a child, but I was more like 4th grade.

I happened to find A Lion to Guard Us at St. Vinnie's so that's what we are using.
Christine
DS 12, Rev to Rev
DD 10, Preparing
Our fifth year using HOD!

alydar

Post by alydar » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:15 pm

We had the very same problem when DS was at that point. I knew from previewing King of the Wind that it wouldn't do. So I tried 21 Balloons for a few chapters. Failure. I then came to the boards just as you have and some wonderful mamas told me about My Father's Dragon. Excellent, excellent, excellent! It was a perfect choice. Everyone, including my DD and mother, loved the story. So much that we even went to check out the sequels from the library - it's actually a trilogy series. They just loved them. It's one they remember well. Perhaps give that one a go? :D
Whitney

DS 10.5
DD 8.5

DS 5.5

Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Psalm 103:1

mom23

Post by mom23 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:58 pm

alydar wrote:We had the very same problem when DS was at that point. I knew from previewing King of the Wind that it wouldn't do. So I tried 21 Balloons for a few chapters. Failure. I then came to the boards just as you have and some wonderful mamas told me about My Father's Dragon. Excellent, excellent, excellent! It was a perfect choice. Everyone, including my DD and mother, loved the story. So much that we even went to check out the sequels from the library - it's actually a trilogy series. They just loved them. It's one they remember well. Perhaps give that one a go? :D
I just found My Fatehr's Dragon as a free Kindle download. We don't have a Kindle, but I put the free reading app on my computer. The kids think it's fun to read on the computer :)
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing