TM in binders and a little organization

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
homefire

TM in binders and a little organization

Post by homefire » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:46 am

In another thread I had mentioned that I had put my TM into 3 ring binders and I had a few people ask for details. I decided to take some picks for all you lovely ladies.

DSC00658 by cotton1221, on Flickr
This first one is of the guides I'm doing this year after I had the binding cut off and then 3-hole punched them all. I slipped the front and back cover into the clear pockets on the outsides of the binders. The coffee was not staged but I find it very fitting.

DSC00659 by cotton1221, on Flickr
Here it is opened up. I copied all of the poems and keep them in the front pocket until needed. You can see down the side I have dividers where needed. I keep one at the next unit and then the appendix is seperated into emerging readers, spelling, storytime, and and poetry. The other guides are similer but really, how many pics of divider tabs to we really need?

DSC00661 by cotton1221, on Flickr
This is MY binder that I use daily (I splurged on a pretty one).

DSC00663 by cotton1221, on Flickr
In this binder I have about 2 units of each guide, recourses, a folder with handwritting paper, our timeline, just about anything I use daily. This keeps it all managable and in one place. I started doing this when I used Sonlight, now THAT was a big TM.

DSC00664 by cotton1221, on Flickr
I picked these up at Staples for $7 each. So far they are working well but might be too small for the older guides. I would like to make fabric covers with handles for them at some time in the near future.

DSC00665 by cotton1221, on Flickr
Each one has current books, journal, and a hanging file with any loose pages.

DSC00656 by cotton1221, on Flickr
DSC00657 by cotton1221, on Flickr
I'm trying this system out for filing papers ad record keeping this year. I tried binders last year but ended up with a box FULL of things that never got put into them. Over the last few years I've gotten a grip on my own quirks and I think this will work well. All three kids are in the same place yet sub-divided enough to find things quickly. We currently have very few restrictions or mandates in my state but I like to be prepared.

Hope this post can spark an idea to make your days go more smoothly :lol:
Daughter of the King, wife to my firefighting hubby, and Mom to my three blessings.
LM: 7yo dd Beyond for 2nd grade, AIG Answers for Kids, piano
CL: 6yo ds LHFHG, AIG for Kids, starting piano this year!
AM: 4yo dd LHTH and some LHFHG

netpea

Re: TM in binders and a little organization

Post by netpea » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:21 am

wow, you sure are organized! I am impressed!
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:59 am

Wow, that looks nice! I love organization but I'm so bad about implementing it and maintaining it. :? I really like your pretty binder. I haven't ever used a binder for myself. I usually just have a pocketed file folder that I keep my attendance sheets and other misc. things in. It might be time for me to move up to a binder though and maybe I can get a pretty one too. :wink: :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:02 pm

I have a binder for my records and grades...you've inspired me to spruce it up a bit! I'm a chicken when it comes to separating my guide like that :) It looks like a great idea, but I am so afraid of losing something or page tearing accidentally!
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:14 pm

Now I want a pretty binder for my records and such :D I have a binder, but it's not pretty :lol: For me, I love the lay-flat binding in the HOD guides, and since I am only using one, I don't feel the need to be able to separate units-the original binding works great for us; my dd is the one using the guide most of the time anyway,and she likes it fine as is :) Your organization methods do look great, though!
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:21 pm

I keep going back and forth about either 3-hole punching, spiral binding, or just leave it as is. So far I'm keeping the guides intact. For now I've decided to use book holders. I did that last year and had all the guides propped open on the table.

Though yours look so pretty and organized :)
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
dd.15~RtR, MTMM, and now WG
ds.14~ PH, CTC, and now MtMM
ds.13~ PH, CTC, and now Rev2Rev
ds.11 ~Bigger, and now CtC
ds.10 ~ Preparing

http://www.homeschooling6.com

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:54 pm

Oh yes, that is very lovely. I can see the value in having the guides hole punched and removing the current units to unite them in one place. I am only using one guide at the moment but if I am ever juggling multiple guides I will likely follow your suggestion!

So the current units from all 3 guides go into your "pretty binder"? :) and then random stuff like attendance sheets?
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

homefire

Post by homefire » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:57 pm

netpea wrote:wow, you sure are organized! I am impressed!
It might look good but I'm still working on the habit of implementing it all:)
lissiejo wrote: So the current units from all 3 guides go into your "pretty binder"? :) and then random stuff like attendance sheets?
Yes, that's right. At this stage the guides are still teacher-intensive so it's nice to have everything together. I also tend to move from guide to guide througout the day so this cuts down on having to use up preciouse attention spans on hunting down the guide :)

As far as the pretty binder goes, my DH was with me when I bought it. I was wavering between it and a plain one for 1/2 the price when DH reminded me that this and items like it are my "tools". He wouldn't skimp on his gear so as long as I'm not being over the top why not get the one I like? I reminded him that there are no lives depending on my binder like there are with his gear (he's a firefighter) but I got the point and bought the pretty one :D If you're semi-handy with a sewing machine there are plenty of tutorials on how to make a fabric cover for one. If you have some fabric you like sitting around this might be an option if you don't want to buy a new one but would like to spruce up a bit.
Daughter of the King, wife to my firefighting hubby, and Mom to my three blessings.
LM: 7yo dd Beyond for 2nd grade, AIG Answers for Kids, piano
CL: 6yo ds LHFHG, AIG for Kids, starting piano this year!
AM: 4yo dd LHTH and some LHFHG

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:26 pm

homefire wrote:If you have some fabric you like sitting around this might be an option if you don't want to buy a new one but would like to spruce up a bit.
OOOO! Fabric! I think I'll just get some fabric, cut it to the right size and slip it in. I have WAAAAY too much fabric. I made chair covers for my girl's seats with some leftover because I was so tired of looking at the primary colors :) Maybe I'll match it with that!
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory