Record-Keeping

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Megan

Record-Keeping

Post by Megan » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:07 am

Hi everyone! I was wondering what, if anything you all do for record keeping? I know as the year goes on we will have lots of things in their binders, so that's part of it...but do you also keep other records? I read where someone said that they write down the date that they finish the lessons. I was thinking of maybe printing out a calendar and writing down on each day something like "August 22: E and A completed Unit 1 Day 5" Etc. We live in Texas, so it's not required, but I'd like to have something there just in case there is ever a need for it. I'd love to hear other ideas as well.

We started Bigger with our 7 and 9 year old last Monday at half speed and it's going great so far...I have another question about stretching out Bigger before getting to Preparing...I'll post that another day though. :) We are loving everything! So far, so good!

Megan
Last edited by Megan on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Megan

Let all that I am praise the LORD; with my whole heart, I will praise his holy name. Psalm 103:1

lmercon

Re: Record-Keeping

Post by lmercon » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:10 am

I just write the date on the page or in the box in the manual when it's completed. I used a pencil with my ds, and I'll use pen with my dd.
hth,
Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

montanamom

Post by montanamom » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 pm

Our state requires that we maintain attendance (hours/days) records. We are using Bigger this year & I did the same thing for Beyond last year. I wanted to keep each childs records with their own paperwork so I typed up a daily schedule that includes time allotments for each HOD box & total daily school hours. I then made up a spreadsheet with months (6 months on each side of the page) listed in the colums & days listed in the rows & simply fill in the HOD unit # & day # for each day that we follow our school schedule. It keeps my records on 1 pg (front/back)...hope that helps! :D

Pam
DD 9- CTC + violin
DS 6- BLHFHG
DD 4 - LHTH
DD 2 y/o.

MeadowWay

Post by MeadowWay » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:12 am

We live in the state of PA, where keeping attendance , a log and portfolio are required. I purchase a 3 ring hole jelly covered planner from Walmart ($5) and put it right in their binders. We just transfer from the pages of HOD onto it and add any PE, Music or Extra curr. My highschooler does her own and I take care of my 9 yr old.This satisfies our state requirements and we always have it to refer back to when its time to do a transcript...the other nice thing I like about it is its right in the portfolio, which gets shelved each year and I can open it up and refer to it very easily.
HTH
Be Blessed in the LORD
KK

Megan

Post by Megan » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:59 am

MeadowWay wrote:We live in the state of PA, where keeping attendance , a log and portfolio are required. I purchase a 3 ring hole jelly covered planner from Walmart ($5) and put it right in their binders. We just transfer from the pages of HOD onto it and add any PE, Music or Extra curr. My highschooler does her own and I take care of my 9 yr old.This satisfies our state requirements and we always have it to refer back to when its time to do a transcript...the other nice thing I like about it is its right in the portfolio, which gets shelved each year and I can open it up and refer to it very easily.
HTH
Be Blessed in the LORD
KK

Thank you, KK! So do you write a summary of what you did in each subject on the line in the planner, or just something like, "Math, History, Spelling, etc."?
Megan

Let all that I am praise the LORD; with my whole heart, I will praise his holy name. Psalm 103:1

Megan

Post by Megan » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:50 pm

Thank you Laura and Pam! Yes that helps very much... :)
Megan

frankesense

Post by frankesense » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:12 pm

We live in Texas as well. Nothing is required but just because - I keep the binders with their work in it and then I pencil in the bottom corner the date, the child's initials, and write "completed these lessons" after we finish each unit in the Teacher's Guide.

Stephanie
Wife to the most awesome man for 18 years
Mother to ds - 15 yrs. and dd - 13 yrs.
using World Geography

MeadowWay

Post by MeadowWay » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:15 am

Megan

I write the subject and a very short summary...KK

This is the day the LORD has made, be glad and rejoice in it.