Question on Bigger Poetry Copywork

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
edsnyder

Question on Bigger Poetry Copywork

Post by edsnyder » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:14 pm

Okay so it says that you may choose to have the student copy a part of the poem each day???? Now is this something that everyone does because it seems like a lot of writing but I don't want him to 'miss' something if it is vital and I have found that when Carrie suggests to do something there is generally a point! My ds is 8 will be 9 before completely guide using it as 3rd grade

Thanks for any feedback!!!
Elisa help meet to my husband Luke of 12 years and mother of three awesome children:
ds9 - Bigger
ds6 - Beyond - Half Speed
dd3 - Little Hands -

asherwood96

Re: Question on Bigger Poetry Copywork

Post by asherwood96 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:18 pm

I have always just had my daughter do our handwriting lessons and not the poetry copy work. This will be our 4th year of HOD, and she has excellent handwriting...but doesn't enjoy doing a lot of it. There might be some benefit in getting more familiar with the feel of writing different poetry styles, but we just have not done it. We do read the poems and go through the other teaching material that she includes about the poems, but omit the copy work. Hope this helps ;)

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:33 pm

I divide the poem into sections and have my son copy a part each day. If it is a long poem we do not finish, but the copywork is very important, as it serves to develop spelling, punctuation, and grammar skills.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:36 pm

We're opting for cursive handwriting instruction instead. We did poetry copywork last year with Beyond and her printing and copying skills have improved beautifully. With all the other written work in Bigger I honestly didn't feel like it was necessary. My daughter is almost 7 and beginning 2nd grade.

When we did it last year sometimes I set a timer for 10-15 minutes or I divided it into sections. It sort of depended on how long the poem was.
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

frankesense

Post by frankesense » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:47 pm

Both of my dc had done copywork in Beyond and it really served to cement their handwriting skills. In Bigger, my understanding was that you were supposed to choose between either learning cursive or copywork using the poem each unit. I choose to have them learn cursive as their handwriting instruction instead of copywork for Bigger. There was plenty of other writing in Bigger to keep up their printing skills.

Stephanie
Wife to the most awesome man for 18 years
Mother to ds - 15 yrs. and dd - 13 yrs.
using World Geography

RecumbentHeart

Post by RecumbentHeart » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:34 pm

frankesense wrote:Both of my dc had done copywork in Beyond and it really served to cement their handwriting skills. In Bigger, my understanding was that you were supposed to choose between either learning cursive or copywork using the poem each unit. I choose to have them learn cursive as their handwriting instruction instead of copywork for Bigger. There was plenty of other writing in Bigger to keep up their printing skills.

Stephanie
So glad you mentioned that. I don't know if I would have realized that. :lol: Since you mentioned it I checked the samples and the intro pages of Bigger do mention: "If your student is not ready to begin cursive writing, daily copywork from each unit’s poem is recommended."
Alicia
DS10: CTC (beginning Sept.)
DD8: Bigger (beginning Aug.)
DS7: Bigger (beginning Aug.)
DS5: LHfHG

RecumbentHeart

Post by RecumbentHeart » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:03 pm

See, this is totally me and why I would have totally missed that: right below where I copied and pasted that from is a heading saying: Handwriting or Copywork, which I didn't notice (followed by more specific details which, btw, mentions that copywork should be limited to 5-10 minutes). :oops:

Anyway! Hope that helps someone!
Alicia
DS10: CTC (beginning Sept.)
DD8: Bigger (beginning Aug.)
DS7: Bigger (beginning Aug.)
DS5: LHfHG

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:22 pm

We didn't do the poetry copywork. :oops:
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

Shy

Post by Shy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:55 pm

See, this is totally me and why I would have totally missed that: right below where I copied and pasted that from is a heading saying: Handwriting or Copywork, which I didn't notice (followed by more specific details which, btw, mentions that copywork should be limited to 5-10 minutes).

Alicia
4 dc, 6yrs and under
DS6: BLHfHG, catechism, Latin, Spanish, Khmer & ASL.[/quote]

Alicia,
What is Khmer?
Thanks,
Shy
Shy,

homeschool mom to 3 grads
homeschool 'Nunny' to 1 grandchild
tutor to many

edsnyder

Post by edsnyder » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:44 pm

Shy wrote:See, this is totally me and why I would have totally missed that: right below where I copied and pasted that from is a heading saying: Handwriting or Copywork, which I didn't notice (followed by more specific details which, btw, mentions that copywork should be limited to 5-10 minutes).

Alicia
4 dc, 6yrs and under
DS6: BLHfHG, catechism, Latin, Spanish, Khmer & ASL.

Alicia,
What is Khmer?
Thanks,
Shy[/quote]

Shy,
I googled it - it is the official language of Cambodia :)
HTH,
Elisa (I was curious too!)
Elisa help meet to my husband Luke of 12 years and mother of three awesome children:
ds9 - Bigger
ds6 - Beyond - Half Speed
dd3 - Little Hands -