My Beyond TG arrived today :)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
RecumbentHeart

My Beyond TG arrived today :)

Post by RecumbentHeart » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:56 pm

Thank-you for speedy shipping. :) I spent all of nap/quiet time going through the history plan. I'm intending to begin the Monday after next doing the language arts "as is" at first - that is, four days of spelling and the included grammar on the fifth day. I may add R&S 2 back into his day once we're rolling. I'm looking forward to trying DITHOR once he's completed the emergent readers. I made the mistake of deciding upon books for Storytime without consulting him. After he saw the catalog on the table he made some of his own choices so I've had to collect more books and will split them between Storytime and DITHOR (he explained that he still wanted to read the ones I chose, he just didn't want to miss some that I didn't). It's hard to believe this child had no interest or pleasure in learning to read yet now he loves books and always has books nearby (like his Mom, one is rarely sufficient). I remember that it was the emergent readers and the Burgess books scheduled in LHFHG that sparked his interest (one particular day he couldn't handle waiting until the next day for the last chapter so he took the book and went ahead and read it himself). Anyway, just reminiscing. It just amazes me that it was less than a year ago.

So, we're taking next week off to mark our new start and make it feel all official and special but then we're jumping in. I'm looking forward to spending the year with you ladies. I'll be letting you know how it's going.

Is anyone else starting Beyond soon?
Alicia
DS10: CTC (beginning Sept.)
DD8: Bigger (beginning Aug.)
DS7: Bigger (beginning Aug.)
DS5: LHfHG

TrueGRIT

Re: My Beyond TG arrived today :)

Post by TrueGRIT » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:07 pm

We just finished ours and had a great year!
I know you will enjoy it.
Have fun!
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

Robbi

Post by Robbi » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:26 pm

We are on unit 25 & are taking a break, starting back up again in August!! You're going to love it!!
Robbi
DD 19 Graduated from HOD
DS 15 USI & II combo
DS 10 RTR
DS 8 Preparing
We have now used all the guides!

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:35 pm

We finished Beyond last month. LOVED it!!

I know what you mean about the books. We're reading some of the ones we missed during the year over the summer. We're both really enjoying it- and it's keeping his narration skills sharp.

Enjoy! :D
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

RecumbentHeart

Post by RecumbentHeart » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:42 am

I'm very encouraged. :D

I think I'm going to get the emerging readers going again right away, as in today. Angie, your comment about narration skills reminded me that I need to give attention to that. Without the schedule in the guide, I've been tending to ... not. :? I'm kind of eager anyway. We were up to the Christian Liberty nature reader which I was looking forward to. DS has been carrying around with him for a couple of months, in fact he asked just yesterday for the next one, but he still needs to read it to me (I still make him sit and listen to me read The Trumpet of the Swan to him even though he went ahead and finished it himself months ago - and thankfully he is fine with indulging me :lol: ).
Alicia
DS10: CTC (beginning Sept.)
DD8: Bigger (beginning Aug.)
DS7: Bigger (beginning Aug.)
DS5: LHfHG