Should I wait on Bigger until my 8-yr-old can read?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
TrueGRIT

Should I wait on Bigger until my 8-yr-old can read?

Post by TrueGRIT » Wed May 23, 2012 1:57 pm

We did Beyond this past year and he loved it for History/Science/Art. Also the read alouds!
He is right on track with LA/Grammar despite not being able to read the work.
However he can only read very simple words and struggles a lot.
I just didn't know if we should hold off on Bigger or maybe just take it slowly. He is very much ahead in History/Science,
so in some ways I hate to hold him back.
We will be going back over phonics again this summer/fall with him and his 5-yr-old brother.
Thanks for any help!

PS - HOD I wish you had this curriculum when my mom was teaching me.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

rockridgegal

Re: Should I wait on Bigger until my 8-yr-old can read?

Post by rockridgegal » Wed May 23, 2012 5:19 pm

I could have written your post !!! Hi My name is Kim and I am in the same place you are in ... :wink: :wink:
My 8 year old son reads some but not very well. I purchased the Bigger and will read all I am supposed to with him and have him do the copywork and hoping that the spelling words will build some better reading skills. I think it is a great fit !!! You can always alter the emerging readers to whatever fits your childs needs. I was told once by a more experienced homeschooling Mom.... "They are in homeschool for a reason don't rush what will happen...." . I have tried to tread water with my son and have even gone back to kindergarten books just to build confidence and it is working.
I think he will do fine ....

God Bless
Kim :D

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Thu May 24, 2012 4:46 pm

My 8 y/o will start Bigger in August. He is also a struggling reader. I plan to use Bigger as written except I'll read what he can't. We are using some wonderful resources for dyslexics, and he is improving. If at some point in the future I feel the need to slow down, I will, but for now I plan to just read what he can't (or we'll read together). As long as he's moving forward we'll keep going. He's my only one still schooling at home, so I have the time to work one on one with him. Not sure how that would work out if I had had others at home.
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Mon May 28, 2012 9:31 am

In Bigger, the parent is still reading aloud all of the History and Science and Storytime, so it should work well for your situation, as you work with him to strengthen his reading skills. Consider adding the Emerging Readers once he has solidified his phonics. You would not use DITHOR until he is done with the Emerging Readers. Rod and Staff Grammar 2 can be done completely orally at first, eventually having him write answers to about 1/3 of a lesson when he is ready and continuing to do the other 2/3 orally. For other written work, you can have him dictate his answers to you, and you write them down for him. You can modify copywork for him if he needs time to grow into it. Lastly, you can hold off on cursive until his reading and writing is stronger. This way, he can keep moving forward. And do take it slower, even half-speed, if you find he needs you to for a while :)
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue May 29, 2012 3:22 pm

Welcome to the HOD Board, TrueGRIT! :D I agree with the advice here that you don't need to wait to begin Bigger Hearts. I do think, however, it would be a good idea to start it half-speed, taking 2 days to do 1 day's worth of plans. We did this, and we really enjoyed it! This pacing will be beneficial for several reasons. First, it will give you needed time to focus on ds's reading, and second, it will help stretch the guide so that by the time ds gets to PHFHG he will be ready for the expectation for him to read a portion of his own history and his science. This is important, as the readings dc do become longer and more difficult through the years. This is a good continuation of skills in keeping with Charlotte Mason's philosophy that dc of the age of 9 or 10 yo should begin to take over their own reading to increase their understanding and retention of the material. If you began Bigger Hearts half-speed, you would gain time to work on reading skills and let ds truly blossom in this area without undue pressure. You'd probably find like we did that it becomes obvious when ds is ready for full-speed Bigger Hearts. For us this was about 5 months in or so. :D

If you took 1 1/2 years to do Bigger Hearts, you could begin PHFHG whenever you finished. HOD is super flexible this way! :D I think a good goal to shoot for would be to begin PHFHG when ds has finished his Emerging Reader's Set and is ready to read a few pages at a time of the type of books in PHFHG's science and deluxe history packages. This will help ds be on the path to being able to enjoy all of the guides from there on out. HTH, and I think it is wonderful that you were homeschooled too! That is the story we all want to be able to have our children tell someday - and it would be icing on the cake for me if my dc were telling that story saying they were using HOD with their own dc - and if they would be telling the story on the HOD board - and if they would be saying their grandma (a.k.a me at that point :wink: ) would be teaching a day a week to give their wives a break - okay, I have digressed. A gal can dream though, right?!? Anyway, I think you will love Bigger Hearts for your sweetie, and half-speed could be just the ticket for enjoying the pacing of not only Bigger Hearts, but of all the guides to come. HTH and nice to meet ya! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Thu May 31, 2012 5:51 pm

Thank you Ladies! I really appreciate y'all's input.
I had thought of doing the reading for him, but didn't know if that would put him at a disadvantage to learn what he needed for himself.
I am really looking forward to our starting Bigger in the fall. During the summer we will work on Reading/Grammar & Math.
I know we will see improvements if we keep at it, and I work to not overwhelm him.
I actually wrote and "illustrated" a few cowboy stories for him to practice on. I have noticed he does better reading when there are fewer words on a page.
I also know he likes western stories and I hoped to capture his interest.
Thanks Again!
Mikki
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)