4 Day Week Schedule

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mom23

Re: 4 Day Week Schedule

Post by mom23 » Mon May 07, 2012 1:54 pm

Yep-that's how it works.

Alternatively, I think some people try to split up the work for the 5th day, evenly among the other days. For instance, double up History on Monday, Double up Storytime on Tues., etc...

I like your option best, though!
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Mon May 07, 2012 8:03 pm

I'm in Beyond, but will be doing this with Bigger and Little Hearts next year. I take various parts throughout the week and arrange them as I need to. For instance, I'll combine two days of math when one day is lighter. In Beyond the 5th day in history is always a Scripture passage. I do that on the same day as the last history book reading. Our homeschool classes are on Monday and Wednesday. I have my daughter still do her work on those days and we take Friday to do tests and any work we need to catch up on if the week got hectic. I may not be able to do this as she gets older (only 6 now) and the work gets more involved, but it works for us now.

I hope that helps!
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

3sweeties

Post by 3sweeties » Mon May 07, 2012 8:54 pm

That's what we do! I pretty much had to let go of wanting Day 1 to be a Monday, etc. Doesn't bother me or my kids at all now!!! It actually makes it more interesting b/c each day of the week we do something different! :D HTH! :D
Jessica~married to my sweetie for 21 years!
[DS17]~U.S. HISTORY 2~2019-20
[DS14]-World Geography~2019-20
[DD12]~ RTR, DITHOR 6-8~2019-20
[DS9]~Bigger~2019-20
Enjoyed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WORLD GEOG, WORLD HIST, US HIST 1~LOVING HOD!

alydar

Post by alydar » Tue May 08, 2012 8:23 am

Just chiming in to say we do it the way the op laid out. We school M-Th since DH has Fridays and Saturdays off and we don't school on Sundays. But we also school year-round, too. I've found that a 4 day week year-round affords us the opportunities to take off time as wanted or needed without feeling we're "off schedule". :D
Whitney

DS 10.5
DD 8.5

DS 5.5

Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Psalm 103:1

arstephia

Post by arstephia » Tue May 08, 2012 9:02 am

Because my older two are on a 4-Day schedule and we also have co-op every other Friday, I integrated the Day 5 things into the rest of our week for LHFHG and Beyond guides. Not sure I'll be able to do that for Bigger, so I may have to change my thinking on that. It has worked fine for the younger guides. I just prefer all 3 kids be on the same week/unit so I don't lose track of anything.
I've done all the guides now with at least one child and still feeling the HOD LOVE. LOL!
DD 9- Preparing
DD 13- Rev 2 Rev
DS 15- Geography

MicheleW

Post by MicheleW » Tue May 08, 2012 1:55 pm

This is what we do. Even with the guides that are 4 days per unit, I found we could not make it work out to always be doing Day 1 on Mondays. Sometimes we have a sick day; sometimes there is a holiday (Thanksgiving, etc); sometimes we have appointments, etc. If you get one day off, then how do you get back on track? I just realized that I had to let go of the Day 1=Monday idea. We do start the middle of August (mainly because I know we will miss days here and there and because my kids seem bored by then and start needing structure), but we just do one day every time we have a school day--wherever that puts us in the unit.

I also have 2 in Bigger this year (5 days/unit) and 2 in RTR (4 days/unit), so they are never on the same "day".
Michele
DS 10th M2M w/extension
DD 7th RTR w/extension

sahervey

Post by sahervey » Thu May 10, 2012 1:22 am

We do Bigger at our house for a 4 day week. On Day 1, we do just as it is, except add the Science Notebooking from Day 2. So then Day 3 science is on Day 2, Day 4 science is on Day 3, etc. Then, on Day 4, We do a lot of history. However, it doesn't really take up a whole lot more time. We do our Day 4 history reading, our notebooking assignment, our activity, and our timeline. I wish I had a copy of my schedule to show you. We just moved to Okinawa and our household goods aren't here and neither is my computer with all my HS files on it. Feel free to message me privately if you have any questions.
Amy
Married to a Navy Chaplain
Mom to 4: Addie, Joel, Silas, and Lincoln
AH2
World History
MtMM
Bigger

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Sat May 12, 2012 10:18 am

Because of therapies and other appointments, we can't get a full week in each week either. I simply pick up each day where the last day left off. So, if I didn't get to spelling and math Monday, I do it Tuesday. I don't skip days in the guides, and I don't worry about finishing the guide on a certain time table.
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)