Child read Bigger herself?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Gwenny

Child read Bigger herself?

Post by Gwenny » Thu May 03, 2012 6:39 pm

I have read several times that Charlotte Mason recommends that a child 9 or older who CAN read the material should read it themselves. So, my just turned 10 year old is in Bigger. Should she be reading her history and science to herself? Anything else? If so, do I then read it myself so I know what she's reading and to do the narration?

Nancy
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

netpea

Re: Child read Bigger herself?

Post by netpea » Fri May 04, 2012 9:33 am

My 9yo is completing Bigger with Extensions. She did the extension reading on her own and often she did the main history and science readings on her own as well. I just skim over the reading before she narrates.
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri May 04, 2012 11:02 am

You are right - CM did advocate for dc 9 yo or older to begin to take over their reading for all subject areas. In BHFHG, I had my ds start with the science readings on his own, and he did well with that. I wanted to hang onto the history readings for awhile as they were harder, and are neat to read aloud. I think I had him read his history around the last month of BHFHG or so. Even in PHFHG dc read only half of their history books, with the parent reading the other half. It depends how strong of a reader a student is, as the readings are meant to be enjoyed not struggled through. However, you could have your 9 yo read the history if he is a good solid reader if you would like. I'd hang onto reading the Storytime books out loud for sure, as those are harder, longer, and meant for the parent to read. As far as the extensions, those are intended for ages 10-11 yo, so you wouldn't need to add those at this point. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

MicheleW

Post by MicheleW » Fri May 04, 2012 9:31 pm

So, my just turned 10 year old is in Bigger. Should she be reading her history and science to herself? Anything else? If so, do I then read it myself so I know what she's reading and to do the narration?
My DD 10 is in Bigger as well. I also have a 12YO DS with autism in Bigger. My DD could definitely read any of the books herself, but I chose to read the extension books aloud because my DS finds those interesting and will listen to those (he can't read any of the books). I can't keep his attention with the Reading About History books or the science books. I have also added Apologia Zoology 2 to the program and I read this aloud (again because my son likes this one). My DD reads the Bigger science and other History book to herself and narrates. I do not read them at all. She does a nice job narrating.
Michele
DS 10th M2M w/extension
DD 7th RTR w/extension

mom23

Post by mom23 » Sat May 05, 2012 8:15 am

I made a mistake in Bigger with my dd, having her read all the history and sci independently. Actually, science probably would have been fine, but the history was too much. She started out fine with it, but quickly got very bogged down and began to hate it. Then it was a difficult transition back to having me read it to her because she was used to the indenpendence and liked that aspect :).

Although your son might be a strong reader, I'd caution agains having him do the history readings alone. Those books were chosen with the intention of the teacher reading it aloud at the Bigger stage, and they are too difficult for a child to grasp on their own.
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

MicheleW

Post by MicheleW » Sat May 05, 2012 8:36 am

Those books were chosen with the intention of the teacher reading it aloud at the Bigger stage, and they are too difficult for a child to grasp on their own.
This is true, but she was thinking 7-9 year olds when she decided that. If you happen to be doing the program with a 10 year old, there is a big difference in what they can read and understand, and also in how long it will take them to read it. My DD easily reads all the books herself. Like I said, she could easily read the extensions as well, but I choose to read them. We are at the end of the year now, and she has never felt like the reading was too much.

There is obviously a big difference even in one year at this age. Last year I tried to have DD read one of the One Small Square books and she hated it. She stumbled terribly over the words. This year she reads them easily and understands everything they are describing. So if a book is too difficult for a 7YO or 8YO, a 9 or 10YO may read it easily.
Michele
DS 10th M2M w/extension
DD 7th RTR w/extension

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Sun May 06, 2012 12:57 pm

Thanks everyone. I think I'll try this week having her read them to me and see how she does. She is a strong reader, but not a great narrator yet. This is our first year with HOD. I wonder if she'll narrate better having read them herself. I do better reading something myself than having someone read to me.

Btw, I love HOD. :)
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG