On An Exciting Note!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MamaMary

On An Exciting Note!

Post by MamaMary » Thu May 15, 2008 7:48 pm

I have been praying about my Fall Class Schedule at our homeschool co-op. Heart Of Dakota has definitely influenced the class choices! I have director approval and it's officially in place! Can I share them with you? The first three are based on Heart Of Dakota. (The Film Making will be pulling in genre's based on DITHOR) These are the actual blurbs they put up on the website!

Drawn Into The Heart Of Reading
This Amazing Curriculum was voted as one of Cathy Duffy's "TOP 100 PICKS"! It is a literary Analysis that pulls in..., Pre-Reading Activities, Literature Discussion, Story Element Lessons, Higher Order Thinking Skills, Godly Character, Vocabulary and Creative Projects! There is a $25 supply fee as this purchases your child's "Student Book". 7th & Up

Lights.., Camera..., ACTION~ Filmmaking!
This class is for our future film-makers! Each week you will be putting together your very own short movies! We will delve into different Genre's..., Fiction, Fantasy, Biography, Mystery, Humor, Suspense! We will talk about what each of these categories mean and then YOU will turn them into your very own MASTERPIECES!!! (You will need a camcorder and either the ability to burn to a DVD or the wires to run it directly from the camera into the TV.)

Early American History
This semester we are going to journey back to 1500 and learn how America began! Get ready for hands on FUN as we study history, science and geography! This class is based on the "Heart Of Dakota" Curriculum. Heart Of Dakota is a Christ Centered program that pulls in Unit Study and Charlotte Mason. Each child will need their own 3-Ring Notebook. There is a $25 Supply fee that covers all materials being used!

This ones not related to HOD, but it's part of the package :wink:

Quiet On The Set!
One of my most fondest memories in all the years I've taught at co-op......, Making Commercials For The C.Ho.S.E.N. yearbook! I was blown away by the talent and creativity each of the children brought with them. We had a BLAST! Taking that experience, I have turned it into a DRAMA class of sorts! This semester we are going to have a classroom full of props, A Camcorder and a weekly challenge to see who can come up with the most creative commercials. We will break into small teams and you will be given the "Product" that you and your team must sell! We will be mixing the skills of Drama with Marketing! Join us this semester as we have fun Growing and Learning together!

I love how co-op is tying in with our schooling. I wish we all lived close together!

Last edited by MamaMary on Thu May 15, 2008 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

netpea

Post by netpea » Thu May 15, 2008 7:51 pm

how exciting! Can I come?
:D

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu May 15, 2008 7:55 pm

Oh Mary! :shock: These look like so much fun!! :D It makes me want to enroll my son in your classes...I guess the weekly commute may be a bit of a problem. :? These look great and I'll love reading about your adventures. You'll have to post twice on the weekly check-in... :wink:

I can just "feel" your excitement, and I'm sure your classes love it!
Have fun!!!
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

susie in ms

Post by susie in ms » Thu May 15, 2008 8:06 pm

Mary, when I read the subject line my first thought was when is there ever an UNexciting note from Mary??? :lol: :lol:

Your classes sound WONDERFUL!!! I know they will be huge hits!!
Susie ~ servant to Christ, wife to Ricky for 25 years, mom to Trisha 22, Kris 21, Joshua 19 and Hannah Grace almost 4.
Loving Little Hands to Heaven!

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Thu May 15, 2008 8:11 pm

I wish you all could come! Wouldn't that be FUN! But Kathleen's right, the commute might be a bit too long every Friday? With the price of gas and all :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Thu May 15, 2008 8:19 pm

Forget the kids.....that makes ME want to take those classes!!! You get an A+ in advertising, Mary! :lol: I can't wait to hear how your classes go!

Now, how many diet dp's did you say you drink a day??? I would need a gallon just to keep up with you! You rock, girl! (cyber hi-5!)
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

dcafamily

Post by dcafamily » Thu May 15, 2008 8:20 pm

oh, I wish we could come!!! my dh would be all over your filmaker classes for the kids since that's the area of expertise for him (and the income for the family, lol!!)

Hope you guys have a blast!!!
Dawn in dfw, tx mommy to
delainey using LHFHG
chandler using LHTH
and darianna just tagging along

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Fri May 16, 2008 5:36 am

Dawn, if you guys lived locally we would be pulling your HUSBAND in to teach the class! :D :wink:

Mel, I drink approx 1-2 a day. Though yesterday I had 3?! I work on that whole "moderation thing! :roll: :roll: :roll:

I should also say, that though I do have one possible option I could change around before the classes go up in August. I really want to teach the history together, but if I find that I can't work that out. (Moms would need to purchase either HOD manuel or books and be willing to read to them during the week?)

I might do the Beyond Science each week. That means that at home I'll "read" the science from the science book, but we will do the experiments and pull them out and add to them. (For instance, when we did the bee pollen experiment last week, I would have the younger color a bee and the olders draw a bee and write three facts about them)

Just an option!

dcafamily

Post by dcafamily » Fri May 16, 2008 7:35 am

hehe mary!! he doesn't mix well with a big group of kids, lol!! he cringes when its our time to volunteer in the nursery at church. a large group of kids scare him. Or you know I would be throwing him out there for anyone to use. I am so proud of him and what he has accomplished doing what he does. There are not very many people his age doing what he does in the position that he does.

although, he does wish he could be more involved with the kids schooling stuff and activities. he works for a local ministry here in dfw, but travels quite a bit with them since he works in their tv dept
Dawn in dfw, tx mommy to
delainey using LHFHG
chandler using LHTH
and darianna just tagging along

shera

Post by shera » Fri May 16, 2008 8:45 am

Mary Those classes sound GREAT!! I wish we could take them. But do you ever sleep. I think I will nickname you the Energizer Bunny!

Sarah
Sarah
ds 11/01
dd8/04

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Fri May 16, 2008 12:22 pm

Mary,

I love drama and your class about commercials sounds incredibly fun! Have them sell ice to an eskimo...now that would be a tough sell. You are a creative genius.

I wish I lived closer to a homeschool co-op that offered everything you have. Perhaps I'll have to start one. EEEEEEK! *cringes, locking myself in the bathroom with a big bar of chocolate until the feeling passes* :wink:
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sat May 17, 2008 5:34 am

shera wrote:But do you ever sleep. I think I will nickname you the Energizer Bunny!

I get lots of sleep :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sat May 17, 2008 5:35 am

Oooh Jessi, I LOVE those idea's! Keep em coming!

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Sat May 17, 2008 8:15 am

Are you wanting to incorporate both funny and serious products? I could come up with funny all day long, but serious would be hard for me. Good luck to you!
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sat May 17, 2008 1:00 pm

Jessi wrote:Are you wanting to incorporate both funny and serious products? I could come up with funny all day long, but serious would be hard for me. Good luck to you!
Hi Sweet Jessi, I would love both, but give me what comes naturally to you. I'd rather have too many idea's and have to discard :wink: