Considering Latin roots program...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jhperry

Considering Latin roots program...

Post by jhperry » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:05 pm

I was considering using either English from the Roots Up or Word Roots by Critical Thinking Co. for my ds who will be in Preparing next year. Is a program like this necessary or are the vocabulary skills learned with HOD sufficient? We LOVE the HOD programs and know they really are "complete" programs so I am not just trying to add something and certainly don't want to if it won't be beneficial. Any thoughts?
Jamie
*Mom to Ds 14, Dd 12, Dd 10, and Ds 5
*Enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, DITHOR, CTC, RtoR, Rev2Rev & MTMM

StillJulie

Re: Considering Latin roots program...

Post by StillJulie » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:41 pm

I did buy English from the Roots Up to use this coming school year with my two middle schoolers. We had tried Latin for Children for a few years, and it was just too hard for me to learn (while doing four different guides), so I've decided to scrap that plan. My goal is for the children to have an increased vocabulary and easier time with spelling. I hope/think English from the Roots Up will do that in a pain-free way, without a huge time commitment.
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

Kirsten

Post by Kirsten » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:54 pm

Funny, I just bought the flash cards to try for next year! :D
We too are hoping for better spelling and increased vocab.
-Kirsten
Creation to Christ 2012-2013
Aaron 11/2000
Heidi 1/2003

Melena

Post by Melena » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:20 pm

Check out the WordBuild Foundations and Elements courses by Dynamic Literacy. Definitely fits the bill for short focused lessons. It is pricey, but maybe could be used without the teacher's manual. HTH

mom23

Post by mom23 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:21 pm

I don't add anything like this. I find Preparing to be enough as written in these areas.
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing