John Audobon

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
LivinNandByHim

John Audobon

Post by LivinNandByHim » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:13 pm

Field trip day today!! In honor of John Audobon, whom my son has been reading about in Bigger, we visited Parrot Mountain - about an hour from home in Sevierville, TN. What a great tie-in! We loved seeing, feeding, and holding a variety of parrots, macaws, cockatoos, and others. There were scriptures posted everywhere honoring God for his creation. It was great! This is also one of the best things about HOD - the Biblical worldview. My son begs to read the book selections we ordered from HOD this year! Hoping that we are able to move forward and improve upon our rocky start with HS and wonderful HOD!

creativemommy

Re: John Audobon

Post by creativemommy » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:35 pm

Oh, what fun!!! I am so envious!!! My ds is listening to John Audubon right now with Bigger. We are constantly googling bird names to see their pictures as we read. :)
~Beth
Used & Loved LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, & Bigger

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:35 pm

How wonderful! :D
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

lmercon

Post by lmercon » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:23 am

That's great! For whatever reason, my ds connected especially well with John Audubon as well. We live just minutes away from his home here in PA. The property is just gorgeous and the house filled to the brim with his art, stuffed animals, and other "relics." Great living history!
Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

psreit

Post by psreit » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:05 am

Parrot Mountain sounds awesome! Don't know if we'll ever get there, but it's a thought....some day. :)

Laura - Thanks for the info about the John Audobon home. I'm probably 3 hours away, but my dd sees docs at CHOP, so we make it to Philadelphia a couple of times in a year. We are starting Bigger in the fall, so will eventually get to that book. :D
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:34 am

How fun! :D What a great way to enjoy God's Creation! My oldest ds did John Audubon many years back within HOD (he is now in RevtoRev), and he has been filling our bird feeder outside ever since. We have seen all sorts of birds since then - bluebirds, downy woodpeckers, grackels, house wrens, cardinals - and we even had a wild turkey in our garden. :lol: That one was a surprise! :lol: HOD's plans gave our dc a love for bird watching that has continued long after we finished the guide - I am betting Parrot Mountain will be the first of many special memories with your dc enjoying birds thanks to the inspiration of John Audubon in HOD! Thank you for sharing - what fun!!!!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:40 am

My ds always liked birds, but ever since we studied Audubon in Bigger he loves birds. My mom has been taking pictures of all the different birds that visit her garden and she sends them to him so we can identify them. We have been able to identify bunches of birds and it has been really fun. :D
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:26 am

twoxcell wrote:My ds always liked birds, but ever since we studied Audubon in Bigger he loves birds. My mom has been taking pictures of all the different birds that visit her garden and she sends them to him so we can identify them. We have been able to identify bunches of birds and it has been really fun. :D
:D :D :D :D :D :D
This brought a smile to me today - thanks! I love hearing dc enjoying God's Creation and His Beauty - how special your ds is becoming a budding bird lover! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie