Help 6th grade

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
LivinNandByHim

Help 6th grade

Post by LivinNandByHim » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:00 am

HS not went as well this past year - we had a move, Mom (me) in school for BSN til Dec. 2011, plus working 3 nights / week. We are barely getting to halfway with guides. I am worried mainly about to be 6th grader for fall. He was in bigger and at this point, feeling it is much less than what he should be and I prob. Placed him too low. Although he has thoroughly enjoyed the reading we have done. My 1st grader I'm sure would be ready for beyond now. Plan is to complete as much as I can in bigger and LhFHG, but wondering if I will continue to fail my sons academic expectations / progress by moving to Preparing. I really didn't want to skip this, but don't want him lagging once HS requirements come into play. So, ideas, thoughts, comments? We have just gotten a decent grasp on multiplication tables. He hates Math and feels intimidated by it. He is not a good speller, he does not like writing, but R&S 3 was prob too light for him. We have worked over halfway into the book with no probs. He Loves to read, has excellent retention, and loves lives science. Thanks a bunch.

blessedmomof4

Re: Help 6th grade

Post by blessedmomof4 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:44 pm

If he does not like writing, I would hesitate to jump him ahead a guide to CTC, as the writing requirements and independent work requirements really ramp up in that guide. However, if he likes reading and does well with it, you can up the level of Preparing by adding the Extension package, which extends the guide for ages 11-12. The target age range for Preparing without extensions is 8-10, and Extensions make it suitable for 11-12. This way he can keep moving steadily forward and gain all the skills he will need for success in future guides. Also, that will give him time to solidify his math skills as well. My dd was 11 when she did Preparing and it was a perfect fit, and not beneath her at all. When you get to high school, there are lots of threads on this board on how to "beef up" guides if necessary. HTH :) As for Rod and Staff, you could have him use level 5 for 6th grade, then use half of level 6 in 7th grade and half of 6 in 8th.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:39 am

I'm so sorry to hear about all of the life experiences you've had this year that made for a tough year academically. I agree that the jump from Bigger Hearts to CTC is large. If you get a chance to take a look at the first page only of the placement chart and let us know where your son falls as far as Preparing or CTC goes that would really help us advise you even better. Link: http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

From what you've shared so far, I would lean toward moving him toward Preparing Hearts with extensions and Rod and Staff 4 next. I would also make sure that DITHR is part of his day, doing Level 4/5 or 6/7/8 (depending what he did for DITHR this year) with appropriate books for his reading level. :D One more thing that I'm just wanting to be sure of also is that he can easily do all of the skills and boxes within Bigger Hearts right now too as that will also affect suggestions for placement.

Let us know what you noticed after checking out the placement chart.

Blessings,
Carrie

LivinNandByHim

Post by LivinNandByHim » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:45 pm

Carrie,

I found some other posts that calmed some of my frantic anxieties. This year has been so difficult, but I want to HS with all my heart, to build a biblical worldview for my children. And I can't let the struggles and falling behind steal the harvest that will come from persevering onward. I want to just keep on walking. Finding those posts helped tremendously. So.... Per the placement chart, he likely will fit better in Preparing, mostly for skill strengthening. Also, if he does Singapore 4, 5, 6 during 6th, 7th, & 8th grades as one post suggested, then he will have adequate prep for HS without stressing him out. And another post suggested a similar path for R&S - using 4, 5, & 6 during these next 3 years would prepare him for HS adequately. I would also want to use level 4/5 with DITHOR since we used 2/3 this year, and that would give him another year to move into the writing / critical thinking in level 6,7,8.

So, I have a couple other questions that are likely addressed elsewhere.... the extensions are to be used in place of the SS deluxe package?? I have to admit that makes us really sad because the deluxe looks fabulous. Is it possible to use both without getting overwhelmed?

Is the Igniting Your Writing ok to start now? or should we wait? R&S does not get into the creative side of writing, if I read correctly. Do you have a philosophy for when to start creative writing that I should consider?

I did put another new topic out that asked for Apologia suggestions to incorporate into the science content, but I also read your thorough postings about why you have chosen not to at this level (Preparing and below). We will continue to think this through; but would appreciate any ideas you have of Apologia that would fit the Preparing content.

Thank you all so much for your time and responses.

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:48 pm

Sounds like you have a great plan shaping up :) As far as the extensions/deluxe package, I personally feel you could do both. The deluxe package is scheduled in the "independent history study" box of the daily plans, and a lot of important skills are built into those assignments. You can have him also read the extension books in addition to the deluxe package, and decide whether to do the follow-ups that are listed in the appendix.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

LivinNandByHim

Post by LivinNandByHim » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:00 pm

Bumping in hopes Carrie will have a moment to feedback. Blessings to all!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:38 am

I too think you have a great plan! :D I'd do both the Deluxe and Extensions - he'll be just fine with those. The Deluxe readings are quite short and easier to read books. He will love them and the follow-up assignments I am sure. :D "Igniting Your Writing" would be easy to add, though I'd not skip the PHFHG creative writing lessons as they are great! :) You can certainly do an Apologia science on the fifth day of the week, just don't do "Land Animals..." or "Astronomy", as those are coming later in HOD. HTH, and I pray life evens out for you now - there are stages that are rockier, but may this next part of your life be more smooth - I pray for a wonderful year in PHFHG for you and for life in general! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie