Keeping oldest ds on grade level when combined with younger.

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
bethelmommy

Keeping oldest ds on grade level when combined with younger.

Post by bethelmommy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:39 pm

Hi everyone,

I will preface this long post with the explanation that I just peeked at the practice questions for our state standardized tests which start in third grade and I became a little concerned by everything ds needs to know by then :| So, with that in mind...

My oldest ds will be 6 on Tuesday and is finishing his K year. Dd is 4.5 and is combined with him even though she is not technically K age till fall of 2013 because of an October 6 b-day. We originally started LHFHG to fill in a gap year because we had finished SL P4/5 and dd was not ready for the next Core. Well, we are 5 weeks in and my children LOVE this program. They enjoyed school before, but they REALLY enjoy it now. DH noticed such a difference that he basically told me to stop all the other curriculum we were supplementing with and just do HOD.

So, fine and dandy with me, that just makes life peachy :D However, we are only doing LHFHG 4 days a week so dd can mature into the guides. She and ds are perfectly placed at the moment, but I want ds to stay on grade level in the necessary subjects so that a. He will be challenged where he is able to excel, and b. He will be adequately prepared for required testing as of third grade.

So, I have ds doing math 5-6 days a week to work ahead in the earlybird books. He was 1/2 way through Right Start Math B and it looks like most of the K level math is review for him. I was planning to keep him at this math pace so that he would be at 2a/2b for second grade or until the math becomes challenging enough that he needs to slow down.

For reading, he is on lesson 14 of the TRL. He should finish that sometime this summer and be ready for emerging readers this fall. So, do I need to add anything else for the fall? Even though we will only be 1/2 way through LHFHG, should he start spelling from Beyond, or any other portion of LA? Should he start R&S in 2nd grade even though he will still be in the beyond guide?

I know 3rd grade is a few years off, I just want to make sure I keep ds on track to be prepared in all areas that he will be required to test, including writing/grammar.
Grace and peace,
Alicia
DS 14 MTMM, DITHOR 6/7/8
DD 13 Rev2Rev, DITHOR 4/5
DS 10 Bigger, DITHOR 2/3
DD 8 Beyond, Level 2 Book Pack
(Previously completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, and DITHOR 2/3, 4/5)

mommadonna

Re: Keeping oldest ds on grade level when combined with youn

Post by mommadonna » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:00 am

I have had some of these same concerns along the way! I don't currently combine, but we have gotten "of course" over the past year or so, so I often feel like my ds is behind a bit. I am trying to stretch out Beyond and Bigger so that he does not hit Preparing until 4th grade, but at the same time, as you said we must stay on grade level. Not real sure how we are really doing on that! :oops: But we are truckin along! And loving it, by the way!

If I were you, I would just keep on working so that your ds could begin 1st grade math in the fall (or whenever you begin your next school year). I would also add the ERs, if he has finished phonics and the Language Arts box from Beyond. That would move him along to 1st grade math, begin spelling, and continue his progression in reading through the ERs. He would still be getting the left hand side of LHFHG along with storytime. Another option is: You could just begin the 1st grade options for LHFHG when he is finished with the K options. You would still need the Beyond manual for the ER schedule and the math activities for 1A & 1B. If I were doing this option, I would still do the LA box of Beyond to begin spelling. I would probably do the 1st grade handwriting book instead of starting copywork. Since there are 2 spelling lists, you can just proceed with Beyond, using list 2 and math 2a & 2b, for his 2nd grade yr.

I hope this makes sense! I am awake in the wee hours for some unknown reason. Hope this helps! Take care.
Donna
ds7 Beyond
dd4 listening in, consuming workbooks, TRL and some of LHFHG
ds2 making us all laugh and eating erasers

mom23

Post by mom23 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:19 am

If I'm understanding your post correctly, your ds will be finishing LHFHG during his 1st grade year, and moving on to Beyond for 2nd? I think those grades sound right on target for those guides. I know it's generally recommended that children begin spelling around the time they begin the ER's. I did have my son start spelling then, but his handwriting skills were behind his reading skills, and that was proving to be more stressful than helpful for him. He could spell most of the words, but there were just a couple of them that he. could. not. get.

I tabled the spelling until he started Beyond, and found that those trouble words have become no trouble at all because he has seen them so much in his reading now. He's still in the ER's, just a few books from the end of them. Spelling is coming so naturally to him I'm really glad I did not push it earlier. He just wasn't ready.

Try not to worry too much. You'll be amazed at how much he knows when the time comes. FWIW, I think Beyond is a perfect 2nd grade year, and Bigger is great for 3rd grade. The learning takes a huge ramp up by Bigger, so if he's part way through that one I'd think he'd be more than prepared for the state testing. Even in Beyond, there is a wealth of information, it's just so gently presented I sometimes don't realize how much they are learning and retaining!
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:38 am

Well, we are 5 weeks in and my children LOVE this program. They enjoyed school before, but they REALLY enjoy it now. DH noticed such a difference that he basically told me to stop all the other curriculum we were supplementing with and just do HOD.

Your quote above says far more about their learning than any standardized test ever will. Don't throw away the beauty of actual learning and enjoyment or your days for a standardized test. Third grade is a long way away, and he will be prepared. Remember with Singapore math, that the children in Singapore don't start 1A until they are 7. I have read on more than one website (some selling Singapore), that using the books 1/2 book "behind" grade level often makes a great fit. We have done this at times at our house. For example, for first grade you could finish up the Earlybird and do 1A. For second you could do 1B, 2A. For third 2B, 3A. Your child would still score very well. I would not start Rod and Staff before grade 2. I would go ahead and get the Beyond manual and do the spelling list, emerging readers, and the once a week grammar when he is ready. My daughter is ready for the emerging readers now (at the end of first grade) and the second spelling list. She will be doing 1B, 2A Singapore, the emerging readers, spelling list 2 and Rod and Staff 2 this year for second grade with Beyond. She is combined with her younger sister. I have given the Iowa Tests. I know that she will score well with this preparation. Your son will too. You do not need to worry or push. You definately have time. Enjoy your journey.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

bethelmommy

Post by bethelmommy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:58 pm

Thanks for the encouraging responses ladies. Since switching fully to HOD is a new direction for us, it helps me to be able to look forward a bit and see where we are headed.

So, it looks like adding Beyond spelling and grammar for ds's 1st grade year next fall would be reasonable as we finish LHFHG. He will be ready for emerging readers then and should be ready to start Singapore 1a at some point, though maybe not till October/November. We are currently doing the Getty Dubay K book 3-4 days a week and plan to follow with the next book before moving to copy work in Beyond. Ds has CP and needs the extra practice with letter formation. Dd is doing the same as well simply because she loves writing and doesn't want to be left out :D For everything else, dd is following the LHFHG guide as scheduled.

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and reassurances. I've always loved this board and am so glad God has led us to be part of the HOD family.
Grace and peace,
Alicia
DS 14 MTMM, DITHOR 6/7/8
DD 13 Rev2Rev, DITHOR 4/5
DS 10 Bigger, DITHOR 2/3
DD 8 Beyond, Level 2 Book Pack
(Previously completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, and DITHOR 2/3, 4/5)