Make it 2 years?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
cndrela

Make it 2 years?

Post by cndrela » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:57 pm

This was our 1st year with HOD, so my oldest skipped this book entirely. Anyway, my middle child is doing LHtH this year & will be moving to this book next year for K. I believe Beyond is a really good 2nd grade book plus that allows for him to go through all her book & not be left one year short at the end. My question is has anyone used this book for 2 years or should I use a different curriculum for K then come back to this for 1st grade? I don't want him bored to death in 1st grade because he's learning all the exact same things. Not sure how to handle this. I though LHtH was too easy to use for K so that is why I used it for PreK this year. I believe there needs to be one more manual between LHtH & Little Hearts, but there's not so what should I do? Thanks.

blessedmomof4

Re: Make it 2 years?

Post by blessedmomof4 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:35 pm

Little Hands to Heaven prepares little ones perfectly for Little Hearts for His Glory. If you feel you want or need to go slower, you can make the guides last 2 years by going half speed, or you can make them last 9 extra weeks by doing them only 4 days a week. In fact, if you did all the younger guides 4 days a week, you would add about a whole school year total. Starting with Preparing Hearts, the guides are written for a 4-day week anyway. You may often see people caution about a child being in a guide on the younger end of the target age range of a guide, but this has more to do with children coming from other types of curriculum rather than those who are following Heart of Dakota year after year. Each guide prepares for the next. But, it is your family and your homeschool, so go at whatever pace suits you and your kiddos :D
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:47 am

cndrela wrote:This was our 1st year with HOD, so my oldest skipped this book entirely. Anyway, my middle child is doing LHtH this year & will be moving to this book next year for K. I believe Beyond is a really good 2nd grade book plus that allows for him to go through all her book & not be left one year short at the end. My question is has anyone used this book for 2 years or should I use a different curriculum for K then come back to this for 1st grade? I don't want him bored to death in 1st grade because he's learning all the exact same things. Not sure how to handle this. I though LHtH was too easy to use for K so that is why I used it for PreK this year. I believe there needs to be one more manual between LHtH & Little Hearts, but there's not so what should I do? Thanks.
My 7 yo began with LHTH when she was 3 and took 2.5 years. Then we began LHFHG when she was in K and and old 5 yo. We are on our last few weeks and she is now 7.5 We'll move into Beyond and do just a few weeks before stopping for the summer. You are right there is some wiggle room with the guides. There are many threads which speak to this. Consider it an opportunity when you are in the 5 days guides to have a little more time to complete a guide then simply doing one a year. The guides are designed in such a way that they can span several ages in skill development. When I used Bigger with one of my older children, he began it using the emerging readers and by the time we finished he was not only reading, but using the extensions. :D
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:29 am

Our solution to this, we do LHFHG, Beyond and Bigger 4 days a week. This takes 4 years instead of 3. It is working beautifully for my ds. He started Beyond mid 1st grade. This was a better option because he could handle LHFHG after LHTH but I did not want to start Preparing in 3rd grade. Hope this helps.
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH