Reader placement

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Parias1126

Reader placement

Post by Parias1126 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:12 pm

I just went to the convention today and purchased Bigger to combine my 8 and 9 year old. I purchased DITHOR level 2/3 for my DD9 with the level 2 readers. She probably could had handled level 3, but I'd rather not push her. My question is for my DS8. He falls right at the end of the emerging readers and has already read Owl and Frog and Toaf close to 20 times. He is ready to move beyond those and could handle the last few books in the emerging reader set. he is definitely not ready for DITHOR though. What would you do in this case? I really don't want to start at the beginning ....what Is a good solution?

psreit

Re: Reader placement

Post by psreit » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:28 am

You definitely can start in the middle of the ERs. Look over the list of readers and just begin wherever you feel he fits as far as he reading skills. If he has read the Frog and Toad books, maybe you could have him start in Wagon Wheels or Amelia Bedelia. Did he read either of the Bibles? If not, maybe he could start with The Beginner's Bible and then just skip over the Frog and Toad books. My dd is going to read Wagon Wheels. She is 8(9 in May). I had her read the Early Reader's Bible, Owl at Home, and the Frog and Toad books. I did stick some other readers (including Pathway) in between because I wanted to give her more practice on a certain level and not rush through the ERs. She is a slow reader, but has very good comprehension. I just don't want to rush her into DITHOR. I think it will be a while before she is ready for that. Probably sometime next year in 3rd grade. :)
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

mom2Gracentwins

Post by mom2Gracentwins » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:07 pm

I posted almost the same question, except we have already done the emerging readers (actually, we will finish in May). So I don't have a solution, but I want to find out what others say. I have a dd6 who reads really well but still needs practice with the ER level of questions. I don't feel she's ready for DITHOR but the replies I got said to try it orally...I don't know what we'll do. This is for the fall.
Jennifer
used LHFHG and BLHFHG
currently using DITHR for dd, 7, and LHTH for dd, 3, and ds, 3

mom2Gracentwins

Post by mom2Gracentwins » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:41 pm

Hey, I found something of interest in the Beyond appendix, you can see my post about it on my thread here if you're interested.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11434&p=83078#p83078
Jennifer
used LHFHG and BLHFHG
currently using DITHR for dd, 7, and LHTH for dd, 3, and ds, 3