additional phonics needed?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
ninipelley

additional phonics needed?

Post by ninipelley » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:20 pm

We are in unit 5 of The Reading Lesson and loving it! My son is finishing K (almost 7yrs) I am curious about phonics? Is the point of "phonics" to just learn how to read? And I know it helps with spelling too. But is TRL enough phonics teaching? I think some programs go way overboard with all the rules & memorizing but is anything additonal needed? Besides just moving onto the Emerging Readers when done? Explode the Code?
Thanks ladies,
God bless
2011-2012 plan
9.5 yr dd Preparing
7 yr ds finishing LHFHG
4 yr dd learning letters
almost 3yr dd tagging along

blessedmommyof4

Re: additional phonics needed?

Post by blessedmommyof4 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:09 am

I don't have the exact answer for you; however, I have asked some similar questions. I just thought you may be interested in reading some of the responses under the topic: "phonics with The Reading Lesson." It is so difficult (for me at least) to find the right balance in teaching phonics. I want it to be thorough, but not overkill. Its sounds like you are right where I am in trying to decide what that perfect balance is. I will keep up with your post to see how others respond seeing as I am having similar questions.

May God bless you in your homeschool journey.
Jenny
Married to best friend and loving husband, Steven, for 15 years!
Caleb--9-- Preparing
Sarah--5--Little Hearts in fall
Lydia--4 1/2-- will begin Little Hearts in fall
Anna--1--lighting up every room with her smiles

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:34 am

I understand you wanting to find the right balance as I have been the same way. We used TRL and for the most part if was all we needed. However, I have done a couple of extra things that I think has been the right balance for me.
- when doing the spelling words I talk about the rules and I point out words that don't follow the rules. I have pointed out a couple of things here and there that were not really covered in TRL, but really try to to go overboard.
- for my oldest son (only one reading so far), I did find it helpful to review a little bit. I took another phonics book that I had that is more complete and made up a few worksheets that we did now and then. I will probably pull them out one more time at some point. It was nothing fancy, I just put the rule at the top and typed a few words that used that rule for him to practice, then put a few sentences below for him to read. For those worksheets I did add a few rules that were not really covered in TRL. My oldest has not proven to be a content reader, so knowing the phonics rules is vital for him. I do think some children will just get it more than others, so what you do for phonics may vary from child to child.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:44 am

After our year of phonics, I use the "Explode the Code" workbooks. They are short, fun, fairly independent, and a great review. We usually do Books 1-3 or Books 2-3, depending on what the child seems to need. I let each child choose 1-4 pages to do each day, and we work at the pace they want until we have finished ETC Book 3. :D Dc do phonics anywhere between 1-3 years usually, depending on their needs. If your child is able to start the Emerging Reader's Set after completing TRL and do quite well, then just the ETC books are probably needed. If after completing TRL a child is not ready to start the ERS, then one more year of phonics with a different program would be good to do. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Tidbits of Learning

Post by Tidbits of Learning » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:14 am

ninipelley wrote:We are in unit 5 of The Reading Lesson and loving it! My son is finishing K (almost 7yrs) I am curious about phonics? Is the point of "phonics" to just learn how to read? And I know it helps with spelling too. But is TRL enough phonics teaching? I think some programs go way overboard with all the rules & memorizing but is anything additonal needed? Besides just moving onto the Emerging Readers when done? Explode the Code?
Thanks ladies,
God bless
We like to use MCP Phonics C after TRL and alongside the Emerging Readers Set. It goes over the rules pretty well and has some other elements that I like such as spelling rules, writing prompts, and the like. We actually use MCP Phonics A and B alongside the Reading Lesson as well. I have not used Explode the Code.
2020-2021
dd20, dd19 Grown and Flown :D
ds18-12th grade at hybrid school
ds14-8th grade MTMM President's Study and Science

ninipelley

Post by ninipelley » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:07 pm

Thank you so much ladies for your support and knowledge. This does help alot
2011-2012 plan
9.5 yr dd Preparing
7 yr ds finishing LHFHG
4 yr dd learning letters