Music portion of HOD

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tracee

Music portion of HOD

Post by Tracee » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:21 pm

I was just wondering how everyone incorporates the music portion of HOD in their day. Do you have your child sit and listen to it right after the memory verse? Do you play it through out the day at various times? How do you do it?

Tracy
DS 12
DD 10/DS 10

Heart_Mom

Re: Music portion of HOD

Post by Heart_Mom » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:18 pm

Tracee wrote:I was just wondering how everyone incorporates the music portion of HOD in their day. Do you have your child sit and listen to it right after the memory verse? Do you play it through out the day at various times? How do you do it?

Tracy
I always gather all my children before breakfast for a quick Bible time. I read a chapter to them, then we sing the HOD song(s) all together. It works well for us this way because I tend to forget and leave it out otherwise.

HTH!

BTW, even my 2 year old has learned all the verses to the hymns in Bigger by doing it this way! :D
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9
dd - 5 (Little Hearts for His Glory)

Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

tjneary99

Post by tjneary99 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:39 pm

We play the hymn during art, handwriting or copying and coloring time. This works well for us. Jen
"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."
Colossians 3:17[/color]

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:40 pm

I have other music things that I tend to do as part of our school day, but we would listen to the CDs that were recommended with the guides in the van. We really enjoy that! So it wasn't that we listened to the specific track on the days we were covering a certain verse, though if we did listen in the van I would point out that this was the verse we had been working on. Now that we've been in Beyond for a while, they already have the songs memorized. Sometimes the verse is longer or different than the song, so we just do the whole verse.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:50 pm

This is something I have my kiddos do on their own. They do it while I brush my teeth. :lol: Works for us. :wink:
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

tnahid

Post by tnahid » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:26 pm

We do it when we do our Bible and History time together. I just say "okay, let's do our song." I have each of my sons stand up and sing the verse by themselves a couple of times. One of them really likes this, while the other one always gets tickled and ends up laughing! :D :D Funny enough, he is the one with the best voice of the two. Sounds like an angel when he sings!!! But today, he said that when his voice goes high like that, that he sounds like a girl! :) :) He was trying to get his voice to go lower, and I told him that his voice would change one day, but for now he sounded great. He wasn't real thrilled... :P :P The younger one really puts his ALL into the song though, and I just love watching them do that.

My daughter does hers when we do our lessons together as well, and I have her stand and sing it to me, with hand motions, etc. She has to pay attention, open her mouth, act it out, etc. It's a very fun part of our day actually! :D
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:15 am

LHFHG- I play the cd whilst he does he does his morning chores[ make bed,put away PJ's,picks up in his bedroom]
Bigger- We play the cd at the beginning of school[as we sit around the table]
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

Tracee

Post by Tracee » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:40 pm

Thank you so much. Those are awesome ideas. Tina, I just picture my kids giggling and getting silly. It sounds fun. :lol:

Thank you,
Tracy
DS 12
DD 10/DS 10

KristinBeth

Post by KristinBeth » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:48 pm

We do our Bible lesson during breakfast while the kids are eating, then I review the verse and play the CD so they can listen to it while they finish up their meal. Sometimes they stop and get up to dance around the room while the music is on. I always have to play the song twice. :D

Robbi

Post by Robbi » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:50 pm

Obviously there's no right way to do this! What we do is halfway thru our school day we have a snack break and I play both the kids music then (beyond and lhth). Sometimes several times!!!
Robbi
DD 19 Graduated from HOD
DS 15 USI & II combo
DS 10 RTR
DS 8 Preparing
We have now used all the guides!