What I did about the read alouds

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Kims

What I did about the read alouds

Post by Kims » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:08 pm

I don't know if you remembered but my son after reading the early readers bible was struggling through Owl and Home. What I did was get out my copy of Fire Cat (Same type of book but lower level) I decided we would read every other line. I would read a line and he would read a line. This worked great. Near the end of the book we started doing whole sentences each. We are continuing to do Owl at Home that way. He is doing so much better. In the next book we may graduate to reading a whole page each and then eventually to him reading it all.
Kim S
Jamie 22, Sloane 19, Savannah 18, Collin 9, and Judah 7
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

julieabird

Re: What I did about the read alouds

Post by julieabird » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:20 pm

Yay! I'm so glad you thought of a way to make it work! Reading IS hard work! My dd is learning to read words like queen, shine, squeak, this and that. She has so much to remember - counting vowels, what sound th or sh or qu says. PLUS those s's on the ends! I like the idea of taking turns to give them that much needed break.
Julie R

ds 7 BLHFHG
dd 5 LHFHG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:40 pm

KimS - I'm so glad that this is working, and your great idea is helping your ds progress in his reading! :D Sometimes those little ones just need a little modeling, and this was a super way for you to provide that. Our dc really need to feel like we've got their back when it comes to skills that are new - and sometimes a little scary - to them. This was wonderful to read, and I bet you will continue to see him improve. Thanks for sharing this good teaching tip! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Kims

Post by Kims » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:30 am

I wish I could take credit but I got it from a friend.
About 12 years ago my friend puller her kids out of Christian school to homeschool. Her 2nd grade daughter could not read so she would sit with her and each would read a page. This child is now a voracious reader. In fact to the point of getting in trouble because she hides to read a book. (or she did before college) So I am thankful God brought this to mind so I could use it with my son.
He LOVES reading this way and actually asks me to follow along with my finger when I am reading the read aloud or history stuff.
Thanks ladies.
Kim S
Jamie 22, Sloane 19, Savannah 18, Collin 9, and Judah 7
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Molly

Post by Molly » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:52 am

I really appreciate this tip too, as my son has verbal dyspraxia and is not yet reading, and I do think it could be a little harder for him than my daughters. Thank you so much.
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH