I came back

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
amf1025

I came back

Post by amf1025 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:51 pm

Last year I was doing little hearts with my 1st grader ,Beyond with my 2nd grader,and ctc with my 8th grader. I loved it but was thinking ahead to this year and a good friend of mine convinced me to sell all 3 and switch to MFW !! What a big mistake I was not happy. So in November i sold that and bought beyond again. I am now using Beyond for both my 7 & 9 year olds. My 9th grader is doing Mystery of History and Abeka science. So my question is for next year is will bigger be good for my 8 and 10 year olds?
My second question is for my 9th grader I was considering starting RTR for high school and would like to start now but maybe should wait until the fall. This will give her 4 years of hod up to the modern guide. Do you think it will work?
ANN
Amanda 18 - Community College
Allison 15 - Private Christian School
Andrew 10 - MFW exploring countries and cultures
Abby 8- Beyond

Mom2Monkeys

Re: I came back

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:42 pm

amf1025 wrote:Last year I was doing little hearts with my 1st grader ,Beyond with my 2nd grader,and ctc with my 8th grader. I loved it but was thinking ahead to this year and a good friend of mine convinced me to sell all 3 and switch to MFW !! What a big mistake I was not happy. So in November i sold that and bought beyond again. I am now using Beyond for both my 7 & 9 year olds. My 9th grader is doing Mystery of History and Abeka science. So my question is for next year is will bigger be good for my 8 and 10 year olds?
My second question is for my 9th grader I was considering starting RTR for high school and would like to start now but maybe should wait until the fall. This will give her 4 years of hod up to the modern guide. Do you think it will work?
Your plan sounds great! Bigger will be great for your kids whenever you finish up Beyond!! And RTR for your 9th grader sounds great. There's a thread about using the programs with high schoolers and credits and all that here somewhere that you'll want to see. Glad you're back!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

amf1025

Post by amf1025 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:36 pm

Thank you so much!!!! I am so glad to be back and I can't wait to order my books:-)
ANN
Abby 8- Beyond

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:03 pm

Welcome back! :D I do think this will work just fine. We just finished Bigger Hearts, and it is such a good solid program. You can add the extensions for your 10 yo if you would like. I would go ahead and begin RTR for your 9th grader now and get to enjoying it! We enjoyed it immensely, and there are quite a few ladies using CTC, RTR, and/or RevtoRev for high school. Here is a link that may help with high school...
Three High School Paths within HOD…
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8208&p=59681

I think you will really enjoy RTR, as well as Bigger Hearts. I'm glad you and your dc will get to enjoy them as well! HTH! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

amf1025

Post by amf1025 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:40 pm

Thanks Julie,
I thought so too!! I will order RTR in a few weeks, I am so excited to have a program that I am in love with and can use with all my kids all the way through.
ANN
Abby 8- Beyond

Daph

Post by Daph » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:31 am

I have a nine year old in Bigger, and it's a very good fit. Most days, she opens the guide, sees what she needs to do, and gets to work.
Dd 9 - Bigger Hearts.
Dd 5 - Kindergarten with various things.
Happily married to a graduated homeschooler who is intelligent and socialized. ;)

lmercon

Post by lmercon » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:47 am

Several years ago, my sil used Bigger with her 8 and 10 yo dc and, with extensions for the 10 yo, it worked great! Bigger is not to be missed and sets up such a great start to the higher-level programs. As far as your other child, you could start her on RTR now, and let her take her time with the program, diverging off on bunny trails as she has interest, and plan to give her 1 1/2 years to complete it. OR, let her start now, work through the program, and just start the next one when she's ready. The nice thing about HOD is that it is kind of seamless. When we take breaks for whatever reason, we are just able to pick right back up where we left off without much trouble.

So glad to have you back. Your story and others remind me of why I'm so glad to have found and stayed with HOD! Thanks for the affirmation because there is a tendency in all of us to look for greener grass, even if it doesn't really exist.

Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:06 pm

Welcome back! :D Contentment is a good thing. I am glad you have found it. Your plan sounds great. I lean with Julie on pulling your oldest into RTR now. You will love it. We ran it as a highschool course last year with my oldest and now we are doing it again with a younger set. You will love it. It works very well for high school level with Carries suggestions. My daughter absolutely loved it last year and my 7th graders are loving it this year. And I have to say repeating it this year has been a joy for me. :D

Welcome back!
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

amf1025

Post by amf1025 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:10 pm

Thank you Laura and everyone was has helped me. Yes we are always looking for greener grass, and let me tell you its not there!!!! Once you find something as wonderful as this and it works for you that is really all that matters. I am so grateful for doing Beyond today with my youngest dd what a simple and short yet blessed day we had!!! Thank you so much everyone!!!!!
ANN
Abby 8- Beyond

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:35 pm

Hi Ann,

Just wanted to say "Welcome back!", and also that we have a 14yog (9th grade) using RTR, and it is working very well! :)
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

amf1025

Post by amf1025 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:47 pm

Thank you so much!!!! cant wait for my tax money so I can order:))
ANN
Abby 8- Beyond

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:47 pm

Ann,

It's good to "see" you again! :D We pray you'll find the fit you're seeking!

Blessings,
Carrie

tnahid

Post by tnahid » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:47 pm

Welcome back! My sons 8 and 10 did Bigger this year. My 10 year old is doing the extensions with it, and it is working out great. I will say that my oldest doesn't really enjoy the science portion of the lessons for some reason. But other than that, they love it.

Blessings!
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

Heidi in AK

Post by Heidi in AK » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:30 pm

So excited for you! I often find it interesting that people who use other curricula (which I'm sure is fine) have a way of convincing us theirs is "better." Though HOD is relatively new, it is wonderful as well!

Welcome back! We're only on LHFHG so I can't really weigh in. :)
Heidi
loving teaching my rewards!!!
Girlie (dd7) - Beyond, 4 days/week
Boy-o (ds4), LHTH, along for the ride!!! (all boy, whatever he can get his hands on, FULL OF ENERGY!)
Psalm 78:3-7

http://heidihovan.blogspot.com

amf1025

Post by amf1025 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:49 am

I feel so blessed with all this encouragement. THANK YOU!!!!! I am enjoying my days so much right now it feels so good to follow and stick to a schedule!!! I love the boxes so much and my day just goes by so quickly we are finishing around 2pm :D
ANN
Abby 8- Beyond