Using MFW but switching to HOD placement question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Sunshinestatemama

Using MFW but switching to HOD placement question

Post by Sunshinestatemama » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:31 pm

Hi everyone! I am Nicole, mom to 2 girls ages 7 and almost 6 and a 15 month old baby boy! We used MFW K last year and are 3/4 way through MFW 1st now (my younger daughter is doing the K worksheets). Someone introduced us to HOD after I had already bought MFW 1st or I might've switched sooner because it looks like a really great program!

Anyway, February is the month I buy curriculum for our next school year so I am trying to make a decision. I have looked at the placement chart and would like to do Beyond with both of them. The only problem I see is that even though beyond is for 6-8, it says it is for 'finishing phonics,...'. My younger daughter has only learned short vowel sounds in MFW K and mainly reads short vowel words and a few sight words. Would I be able to use Beyond with her? I'd really like to do only one program with both of them if possible.

Is Singapore math 1a/1b for 1st grade? I feel so lost since MFW had everything included!

Any advice is appreciated!

8arrows

Re: Using MFW but switching to HOD placement question

Post by 8arrows » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:31 pm

Yes, I think Beyond will work to combine your girls. And yes, Singapore 1A, 1B is generally first grade. However, in Singapore they would usually use this book around age 7, so if you need a little more time to work into it, or if you need to take it a little slower in spots you will be fine. One of my boys did Beyond after MFW 1st. It was a nice fit.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

Sue G in PA

Post by Sue G in PA » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:27 pm

We came to HOD from MFW as well...after doing K and part of 1st. I am using Beyond with my dd6 and ds8 (almost 9). Dd6 is an advanced reader (for her age) while ds8 is a struggling reader. Beyond is a good fit for both of them. I think Beyond would be a good place to start with your girls!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:47 am

Welcome to the HOD Board! :D The ladies have done a great job of helping you. If you have other questions, ask away. We love to help! :D

Blessings,
Carrie