Mid year change

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
garness

Mid year change

Post by garness » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:10 pm

Hi, this is my first year homeschooling my 6, almost 7 year old. She had kindergarten in private school. I pieced together cirriculum and am at a loss if we are on track . I am also very unorganized and feel like I am doing things willy nilly.
We are using Horizons 1 math. We are on lesson #52. (We started in September). Explode the code workbooks, we are on workbook #3 lesson #3. Pathways readers for 1st grade. Almost done with those. My daughter is reading pretty well I think. We also do the pathways workwook that corisponds with the reader, we do this orally just to reinforce reading comprehension. For other topics we read science books in whatever topic my daughter wants to learn about. Do a little science experiment occasionally. Also reading/studying about colonial america with a couple of books from Rod and Staff (I think). We have a Williamsburg membership this year and have gone twice and will a third time soon. We do art/craft maybe once a week and she loves reading about famous artists. We want to start a music lesson.
My delema is I feel that everything is so random and I don't have a set pattern for doing anything (I'm quite unorganized and like flexability, but would like a little more guidence).
My daughter is very unmotivated when it comes to her math, writing or phonics work. She has to be proded and bribed to do them. She is smart in these areas and knows the content, she just doesn't want to do it. She thinks workbooks are borning and she doesn't like math. She is good at writing but doesn't want to do it. I haven't started having her do spelling or creative writing yet (only copy work).
I would like to get a guide and have been researching HOD and MFW. I am also wondering if a different math program would work better for her. Maybe math-u-see ????? Or signapore. But I don't know.
I know its just 1st grade and I shouldn't worry too much. I'm trying not to. I am not sure if I will homeschool next year, but I really don't want to give up after just one year. So maybe I could start with Beyond Little Hearts next year.
Any thoughts and imput would be helpful. I justed moved cross country and I don't have a homeschool group or friends to consult with yet. THANKS. GENEVA sorry, if I have spelling errors that is a serious weakness for me.

AmandaNicole

Re: Mid year change

Post by AmandaNicole » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:39 pm

My first year homeschooling, I pieced together different curriculums froms all over the place and felt so disorganized and a failure at the end of the year. I had no idea what I was doing, and really in retrospect... I missed out on many oppurtunities educationally with my son. I feel like the first year is such a learning year, more so for mom. I had to learn what homeschooling is, and what I wanted it to be in our home. I had to stray away from the idea of a public school classroom, and understand the essence behind our choice to home educate. I began reading basic how to books, etc. Last school year I began a search for the right curriculum for us. I knew, deep down inside, that I really needed a curriculum that would tell me what to do, what to say, and plan the lessons for me. I chose to go with a work book based curriculum and ordered the whole set for the year, and hated every minute of it. It just was not "us"! When chosing a curriculum for us this year I knew, that I wanted more hands on, more learning by doing, and less sit read, now write an answer to the question. I came across Heart of Dakota at the Cincinnati Homeschool Convention, and really got to speak with Julie, I think :wink: , and she was so nice and showed me all that came with the guides, and I was so impressed. My heart kept going back to the catalog, the website, lurking around. I finally decided to order, Bigger Hearts for my 2nd grader and Little hearts for my Kindergartner, A decision that has changed our homeschool for the good. I no longer feel pressured into preparing a ton for the day ahead. It is all thought out for me, put together from lots of different resources. I love the selections of books, the read alouds, the experients, the ease of truly open and go. I love how it fits in our daily routine perfectly. I would not change a thing about it.

So... In response to your question... I understand how you feel, and that HOD really makes it so easy, because Carrie has done all the hard work for you. I would look to the placement chart, and start there first. That way you know where your child is academically and how they will fit into the guides. I see a lot of moms do other sciences or other grammar, but I like the ones written in the guides. I feel that the way the guides and subjects work together is just right for us. I hope you will find the right fit for family!
Blessings,
Mandy
Wife to my high school sweetie - 9 years
Mommy to:
Garrett - Bigger
Colton - LHFHG
Nolan - tagging along

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:54 pm

Welcome to the HOD Board, garness! :D Mandy sure gave a terrific response here already. I so agree with her wise counsel. HOD makes homeschooling a joy for me. No prepping. No planning. Heartfelt discussions. Christ at the center. Balance... balance... balance. Hands-on done well. Fun, yet academically strong. Excellent reading program that teaches all the skills necessary. There is much to love about HOD. What I love most is both my dc and I enjoy the way of life we have with our homeschooling. HOD is so complete that I am not left wondering, "What am I missing?" The answer is nothing. It's all there in HOD. Like Mandy said, checking out the placement chart will help you choose a good place to start within HOD. We will help you too, this board is full of wonderful ladies like Mandy. Just keep asking questions, and we'll get you to a place of peace and contentment! Looking forward to getting to know you here. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Heidi in AK

Post by Heidi in AK » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:46 pm

Welcome, garness! Ditto to what Julie just said, and Mandy said too. Carrie has done SUCH a good job pulling everything together! You might just need some guidance with math and phonics selection, especially if your daughter's already unmotivated.

I will tell you what I was going to post as another thread. This is by far THE best curriculum, if one doesn't tweak it. If you tweak it, you automatically take the beauty out of it. That said, Carrie's left a space for you to pick your math and phonics, as has already been said. I'm not sure of a single curriculum that would let me open it and go with it on a day like New Year's Eve. We actually did school today, and that even after an hour and a HALF of diagnostic reading evaluation. (My daughter's a trooper! She knew that her testing would have been enough school today, but she chose to do school anyway!)

Blessings on you and after you look at the placement chart, check in here again with her placement. I wonder if she should go into Little Hearts, but we won't know for sure until you check back in with us.
Heidi
loving teaching my rewards!!!
Girlie (dd7) - Beyond, 4 days/week
Boy-o (ds4), LHTH, along for the ride!!! (all boy, whatever he can get his hands on, FULL OF ENERGY!)
Psalm 78:3-7

http://heidihovan.blogspot.com

garness

Post by garness » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:23 pm

As of right now the placement chart would put her in Beyond Little Hearts I believe.

Melena

Post by Melena » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:37 am

We have been homeschooling for 18 years, but this is our first year with HOD. I absolutely love it and believe this to be our most productive school year ever! I have always used an ecclectic living books approach, but became frustrated with always trying to pull everything together myself. I also believed my children were not progressing as they could. HOD has changed everything. I no longer have to curriculum/resource hunt or spend so much time researching and planning. I actually enjoyed doing it, but the time and energy demands in this season of my life were too great. And even though HOD is a history theme based living books curriculum, I would describe it as a skill building, critical thinking, and composition program. Best of all, Bible study, Biblical principles, and Christian worldview training is integrated throughout. For our entire homeschooling journey, we used only one math curriculum in which I was a strong proponent of. However, we switched to Singapore and couldn't be happier. Thanks Carrie and Julie!
Marie
married 23 years
18 dd college
15 dd RtR
12 ds Preparing
10 dd Preparing
7 dd LHFHG